We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatrez

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatrez

Would like to visit Alcatrez in June. Only in SF 2 full days and trying to make the most of it. Debating whether to do the day or night tour. Understand beautiful view of SF and the GGB during the day when taking the ferry. If we do this during the day, what is something we can plan after dinner each night?

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatrez

If you go to Alcatraz during the day then you have options throughout the city for dinner.

After the night tour is more problematic because in June the ferry returns at 8:40 and 9:10 (if I recall ... but something like that). Based on those times then North Beach is the best option for dinner.

But if you clarify you tour times we can be of better assistance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatrez

debating ? well imho if you only have 2 days then use daylight to see the city and walk around or bike or whatever it is you want to do and do the night tour.

Plan after dinner ? Unless you have a really early dinner, one should do Alcatraz before dinner

but music show, concert, bars, clubs, theatre, beach blanket babylon, baseball all depends on your likes and dislikes . www.sfgate.com/events www.sfweekly.com

It is ALCATRAZ

Edited: 14 February 2014, 03:35
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatrez

No need to shout about spelling.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatrez

It looks like the tour times are 5:55 and 6:30. We would do the 5:55 and I assume we would come back on the 8:40 ferry. What are our other options of better things to do in the 5:55-8:40 time frame besides dinner if we do Alcatrez early in the morning? Would it be better to the ferry for night or day view of SF? If we do the day trip, where would be the best place for night viewing of the city? Sorry so many questions, I am really confused trying to put together an itinerary.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatrez

Keep it simple, do the night tour please . On a clear day it is a nice view of the city but if you want the best view of SF and the East bay are Marin County and the GG bridge, a day trip may be nicer.

Now If you take a ferry to Sausalito during the day or are planning to go to the GG bridge during the day and cross to the other side there are spectacular views -- with our without fog.

LeBiscuit I WAS NOT SHOUTING. I WAS POINTING OUT THE TYPO. HOPE THAT IS OK :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatrez

If you want a night view of the city skyline then Alcatraz is a good option.

<<What are our other options of better things to do in the 5:55-8:40 time frame besides dinner >>

Depends on what you want to do. Have theater plans? But my point was, if you go on the night tour, your dinner options become more limited.

As to #3 -- you are adding nothing to this discussion ... why do you bother?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatrez

Since you have such a short time in the city, I would do the night tour and see the rest of San Francisco, as you can, during the day.

Dinner? Well, SF'ers don't eat late. But White Dahlia suggested eating in North Beach. If you are up for a simple, late dinner, that sounds to me like a place you could go to. But I don't often visit that area of the city when we are there, so hopefully a local can suggest some possible places.

Or you could plan that day to have brunch and an early 4:00 meal. and maybe some bar food after the cruise if you are hungry. That is probably what we would do.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatrez

One of the other posters mentioned Fog City diner and I have heard it is good since it reopened a few months ago from Friends who ate there. Anyone else eat there and it closes around 10 so if you get off the Alcatraz ferry, that is one option which is quite close by but do read reviews as well

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcatrez

Since we are leaving at 5:55 and returning at 8:40, wouldn't we be getting both a "day" (evening) view and night view?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcatrez

Sunset is around 8:30p then so twilight views. Pier 14 has good nightime views of the city. It is just right right of the Ferry Building. Walk out to the end to look back at they city and to see the Bay Bridge light show. Do consider eating lunch or dinner at the Ferry Building either at the sit down places or the more causual stalls.

Are you still looking for late night dining? I think you are staying at the Chancellor. King of Thai Noodles near Union Square on O'Farrell is open past midnight most days. Very good soup noodles. We like the duck and spicy beef versions. They also have the typical rice and stir fry noodle dishes as well. I have not been to the Fog City Diner since the remodel but ate there when it was old school. Passed it recently and will definitely give it a try next time.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 05:18