We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice

Hi All,

We are starting our first ever West Coast trip in San Francisco on 3rd September and have narrowed our hotel choice down to the following and would really appreciate views on each hotel, location for accessability to the city sights, good resturants and safety of the areas after dark ?

Chancellor $209 per night

Adagio $188 per night

Galleria $178 per night

Thanks in advance

Ade

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,288 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice

these places are in the Union Square area so location is the same . Please do look at maps.google.com and you can see that for yourself. We've seen all 3 mentioned with the Chancellor being a boutique hotel known for its service . The Adiago is now a marriott -- not that it is bad and the Galleria park is a good SF hotel.

Humm. this is a hard one. What sort of rooms are you getting for the price. If you are here for 3-4 days, it is a savings of over a 100 with the Galleria and I would go with that.

I personally have not stayed in any of the hotels so my views are purely based on the feedback on this forum and location info

Edited: 14 February 2014, 14:45
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice

Where are you getting these prices? If from a third party booking, try going directly to the hotels' websites for a comparison. The price for the Chancellor seems a little high.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice

Here's are some comments/observations/thoughts:

1. I'd say the Chancellor is the top choice (and its price reflects that). It gets great comments on the forum and clearly has good reviews/does well in the TA rankings; it's known for the top notch service on the part of the staff. I also think it is the best from a location standpoint.

2. I think the locations of the other two are a *little* bit less desirable as both are a little bit farther from Union Square proper. Adagio could be considered in the "Tenderfringe" (Union Square area that borders the Tenderloin) and Galleria is starting to get into the Financial District area. Now I don't think the location of either one is bad per se - not like the Adagio is unsafe because of it's proximity to the Tenderloin, nor is the Galleria in prime "empties out at night" Financial District - but I consider the Chancellor location better as it doesn't have these "problems."

To be clear, we're talking about a 5-10 minute walk to get to the Chancellor from either the Adagio or the Galleria, so it's not like it's a *huge* difference, but still . . . .

3. The specifics of what you plan to see/do could have some influence/weight on the location aspect. For example, if Chinatown, North Beach & Ferry Building/waterfront are going to be a focus of your trip, then I'd give a slight boost to the Galleria based on it's proximity to these things and a slight drop to the Adagio as it's a little further away.

4. Besides that I'd consider the point Belo raised, how long you'll be in SF. If it's a night or two, I'd be more inclined to splurge and pay the extra bucks for the Chancellor. At some point, however, the $20-30/night savings (actually a little more after you add in the ~15% tax) would become significant to me and I'd want to save the $$$$ (and then probably spend it on a nice meal).

5. Without additional information, I'd probable rank them: Chancellor, Galleria, Adagio for the above reasons. Galleria edges out Adagio because it is further from the Tenderloin & closer to Market Street (transit connections); ~2 blocks to Montgomery Street Station versus ~6 blocks to Powell Street Station and is a few bucks cheaper.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice

If those are the best prices available, I don't think the Chancellor is worth the extra (don't forget the 16% tax that is probably not included in those rates). While the rooms at the Adagio and Galleria aren't huge they are most definitely larger than those at the Chancellor.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice

I agree with HLO in that the Chancellor is in a better location (almost right on Union Square) but not by a great deal.

The less expensive rooms at the Galleria are not that big but the Adagio rooms are larger. Of these three I have only stayed at the Chancellor and can definitely recommend it .

They have great customer service and little extras that help make your stay a memorable one. The rooms are reasonably small but comfortable and ask for a room with a walk in robe____that helps.

The three of them would be ok but my choice would be the Chancellor.

How many nights are you in town ?

Surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Choice

Thanks for responses we are planning on 3 or 4 nights not yet decided, initial thought was the Galleria but with the cost of the Chancellor not a great deal more maybe that's the better option.

Ade

Surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Choice

Hi Puter,

Further to your post about hotel prices i have as you suggested contacted the hotels direct and the prices I quoted are directly from the hotels and are all plus taxes, are you suggesting that I could maybe improve on these ?

Chancellor have quoted $209 direct and Galleria $229 direct although through their web they quote $189 !

Thanks

Ade

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Choice

Are you sure the prices on line are with taxes?

Surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Choice

Sorry, just checked again Galleria is $189 plus tax online but by email is $229 plus tax, whereas The Chancellor is $219 plus tax online and $209 plus tax by email !

Do you know if either of these would have other offers from time to time ?

Thanks

Ade

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Choice

I can only speak for the Chancellor, since we do not stay at the Galleria.

This year and last have been particularly heavy with conventions, which fill up the hotels and drive up prices. We stay in the city several times a year and I book as far ahead as I can. We have stayed at the Chancellor several times since the beginning of 2013. I can expect to pay $189 and up, not including taxes, but have been fortunate that the rate has never gone over $200.

I would choose a hotel you can be happy with, reserve now with cancellation privileges and then keep checking (and looking). If you use a third party booking service be sure that it is not "pay up front" and has a cancellation period.