We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Mill Valley...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Having been so impressed with other advice posted on this site, I offer this challenge: does anyone knows of an efficient route and transit option to travel from Mill Valley to Palo Alto/Stanford and back? Caltrain station seems so inaccessible/out of the way ...bus and ferry routes also don't seem to link easily with one another...I haven't found any public (or affordable private) service via I-280...Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Nothing efficient that I can think of. You are going through 4 different counties. Maybe check the price of Pleasant Limo.

Northern California
Level Contributor
397 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

How about, Marin Airporter to SFO, then bus to Palo Alto?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Perhaps(?) taking emmajm's suggestion one further (and is what I often point out to people) . . . Marin airport shuttle to SFO (or SJC?) and then Palo Alto (Stanford?) airport shuttle the rest of the way? It sounded to me more like emmajm was suggesting a regular bus rather than an airport shuttle from SFO to Palo Alto, I'm suggestion an airport shuttle.

While they're not intended that way, airport shuttles can double as semi-efficient (and often reasonably priced) transit options between two towns serviced by the same airport. They generally have express like service and convenient stops in the origination/destination city. I know I've suggested it for inter-city travel in Indiana many times and know of at least one person who found that it worked for them.

Lastly, while I'm suggestion a standard scheduled "bus type" shuttle service, the on demand airport shuttle vans are another option that you might look at for either of the legs of this trip.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Mill Valley...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Thanks for replying

Will do

Mill Valley...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Thanks for the reply. I love the Marin Airporter - fast, relatively inexpensive ($20) and reliable. It's the bus FROM SFO to Palo Alto that seems to be the next challenge...

Mill Valley...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Thank you for replying. I will check out the shuttles from SFO southward. Appreciate the input!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

You can take Caltrain from SFO to PA

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

This site will show you how to get there via Golden Gate Transit, BART, and Caltrain.

http://www.511.org/

The Airporter will be quicker but also more expensive.

Mill Valley...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Thanks- have you ever done so (I.e.BART from SFO to Millbrae to Caltrain?) how long does it take? THANKS!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,623 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transit ?: Mill Valley-PaloAlto via Caltrain or other rte

Depends on the schedule. Use 511 to check. The Millbrae station has both BART and CalTrain so transfer is pretty easy. I think you use the Mountain View stop for Palo Alto.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 04:59