We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chancellor Hotel

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Chancellor Hotel

We are considering staying at the Chancellor Hotel in early June. I read that they do not have AC. I assume that this would not be a problem in early June, but thought I should ask locals' opinions. Thanks.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chancellor Hotel

Oh I have booked the Chancellor for August so I would be interested in what people think to?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chancellor Hotel

You will more likely need heaters not AC.

If you have a look at the San Francisco climate you will soon see there is no need for AC.

If you do a search on this forum you can find plenty of times the question is asked and you will see that it's simply not necessary.

The city enjoys a very mild climate that changes very little from season to season and you will not have a problem.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chancellor Hotel

Actually, you might want to turn on the heat. Summer in San Francisco spells "fog" sometimes and it is NEVER warm enough to need air conditioning. (Well, "hardly ever".) The rooms at the Chancellor have windows that open a little and ceiling fans.

The Chancellor is an historic boutique hotel (1915) most recently redecorated about three years ago in a classy style. The rooms are small as befits a hotel built around that time, but some of the rooms have walk in closets. If you have a lot of luggage you might ask for one of those (probably ahead of time.) The bathrooms are tiny, but the tubs are deep for soaking and you get a yellow rubber ducky to keep you company.

If you have read the reviews here you will see that people love the hotel, small rooms or not. They have a lovely small breakfast and lunch restaurant with fresh flowers on the table and a wait staff like you don't see often.....cheerful, fast....and a very nice menu. And the rest of the staff is obviously trained in guest relations and you get the feeling that they like their jobs.

We stay there several times a year and like the "cozy-ness" of the rooms and the overall feeling of the hotel.

And the location is A+.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chancellor Hotel

I will just tack on to say that I've lived in the city for, well a very long time, and I have never had A/C. And I can count fewer than 20 times I might have turned it on if I'd had it.

One of the great things about San Francisco is being able to sleep with the window open (and in my case under a goose down duvet) all year round. Yup, I use that comforter year round.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chancellor Hotel

Just read about the Chancellor Hotel on another thread,The reviews are awesome..... looking forward to a stay there next winter (January), so I guess I will probably (?) need the heat that time of year at nite. Does anyone know if each room has their own heat control, or since it is an old historic building does the hotel control the temp thru out the building ?

Edited: 20 February 2014, 06:22
Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chancellor Hotel

You control your own heat...the rooms have ceiling fans and the windows open. I've stayed there in the summer and winter, multiple times...I can't remember a large temperature difference...it's more humid in the winter...the rooms with views of the square are great.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chancellor Hotel

buck2904 is right about controlling your own heat. However, more specifically: You control the amount of heat your room receives off of the main boiler that serves the entire hotel. You can adjust it for a minimum amount or maximum amount when the boiler is on. We do have additional space heaters in every room for more heat.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chancellor Hotel

Just a quick link to average high temperatures in San Francisco. www.m.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php… (many different sites to get them from)

Average high in June is 66 degrees F. Average highs in September, the warmest average highs of year are 69 degrees F.

So unless you're an Eskimo and love cold weather, you'll probably be ok. You might be fine even then.

For those from other parts not used to the Fahrenheit scale, general "room temperatures" for comfort are usually about 68 to 78 F. (Places trying to save energy in the winter may set thermostats low at 68 and warm places saving energy in the summer may set them higher at 78 in the summer.)

So generally San Francisco will be cooler than what you're used to inside a temperature controlled environment most of the time.

Even when we have mini "heat waves" the highs are often only in the 80s--which would make people from warm summer climates laugh. They don't happen too often, either, and it's usually chilly by evening. I can count the number of days a year when it's still pleasantly warm in the evening on one or two hands.

If you're traveling out of San Francisco even as little as 30 or 40 miles the temperatures might be completely different, so check them for all your destinations, especially when heading away from the ocean.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chancellor Hotel

<<If you're traveling out of San Francisco even as little as 30 or 40 miles the temperatures might be completely different, so check them for all your destinations, especially when heading away from the ocean.>>

holodan makes an excellent point here. I know we always mention how cool SF is in summer but you don't have to go far away to get to *much* warmer temps.

My example: I live quite close to the Golden Gate Bridge. I go up to San Rafael (in Marin County across the GG Bridge) regularly. It's a 17 minute drive from my house to San Rafael.

In summer it can be mid-90s at mid-day when I leave San Rafael and low 60s at the GG Bridge toll plaza. Yes! A 30F degree difference in 15-20 miles.

Like a good boy/girl scout ... Be Prepared!!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chancellor Hotel

The chancellor sounds like a great Boutique Hotel so looking forward to my stay there in August. Thank you for all your replies.