We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

Oyster Bay...
12 posts
Save Topic
Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

Hi we hare traveling thru USA and need to get from fishermans wharf on a Sunday to the Hayward university by 830am. What would be the best way. I would then need to go from Hayward to Palo Alto shopping . Should I just hire a car and is it an easy drive.. I'm from Sydney and it's my first time in USA so a little worried!

Thanks

Kim

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

You are leaving the main city of SF and as such while BART and Caltrain take you close, you still have to find a way to get to and between the places you chose efficiently

BART would not help you there and on Sundays the service starts late

Please rent a car at FW and drive to the places you want to visit. Palo Alto shopping. I think plenty of people from all over the Bay area come to SF for shopping so why go to Palo Alto when all those stores are in SF. Is there something specific in Palo Alto you want to visit

Hundreds of thousands of people who drive on the wrong side :-) drive in the US. Courage !!

Oyster Bay...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

Thanks for your info... Yes we need to go to My American girl shop! We don't have it in Australia and my daughter has always dreamed of one. My husband needs to go to east bay and I need to go to Palo Alto for the doll shop! Looks like we need 2 cars or maybe i will be doing a lot of driving! Wish me luck! Also we were thinking of going to the farmers market on Saturday. Do you recommend?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

Are you going to Los Angeles as well? Or any other cities with a branch? The American Girl store at The Grove in Los Angeles is easier to reach by public transport or Hop on Hop Off buses. The Palo Alto one is pretty new. I understand your need to go.. spend wisely! I am sure you have looked into it, but the tea party is very popular.

Back to your question... hire the car and drop your husband off in Hayward then drive yourself to PA. No need for 2 cars. Public transport is just not very convenient.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

What's going on at the University at 8:30 on a Sunday morning? Unfortunately you do need a car. Does your husband need to be there all day? You can get to the Stanford Shopping Center via Cal Train from SF.

American Girls, hmm, I was there (don't ask). Strangely enough, all those American girls are made in, well, not America.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

It all depends on how much time he needs. No shop is going to open that early on a sunday. You can check hours but it will be around the 10am or so hour. If he needs a lot more time than that, he can be dropped off and picked up later.

the other option is to drop him off and he can call for a cab to get to BART and get back to SF and you can finish your work and get back to SF. If you have the car you can see Twin peaks and perhaps Marin Headlands after both of you are done with your tasks

Yes the Farmer's market albeit a bit expensive is great to visit. There are other cheaper markets for fresh fruits and veggies but you are not here to comparison shop for the best kumquats or the best watermelon radish so go there, walk around taste the produce, eat from one of the many many carts or stalls

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

sorry this was a duplicate. Is it just me or is TA very slow to respond.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 04:57
Oyster Bay...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

Thank you everyone! So much to plan. I think I will take your advice aAnd drive hubby to Hayward then go off to Pala alto. He can then cab it to me in Palo Alto! We are heading over to san dieago that night to do legoland And seaworld then off the anaheim /disneyland, lax, etc. our final part is up to Vegas so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do and see along my travels, please feel free. There is soooooo much to choose from. Thanks again for everyone help.

K

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

the california forum has plenty of info on what to do and see in California as do the LA and SD and Anaheim forum TOP QUESTIONS.

we focus on SF and associated areas in this forum

having said that, how are you going to SoCal ? Not driving but flying at night ? You are missing arguably the best drive on the west coast by missing Carmel to Cambria along the coastal route hwy 1.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 07:04
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

I would think that a cab from Hayward to Palo Alto is going to be *very* expensive.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishermans wharf to CA state university east bay Hayward

If you are going to SoCal, do you have some time to go to the American Girl store there - at The Grove in Los Agneles? If you will be visiting Hollywood or even Universal, it is not that far. Now if you are only going to Anaheim and Disney, then a little more out of the way. I am assuming you will have a hire car down there. Just makes things easier...