We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

Hi.

I am looking to rent an apartment for 3 colleagues when we are attending a conference in San Francisco.

Having never been to San Francisco before are there some areas that we should avoid or should try to choose. I presume we will all be doing our own thing for the most part and as a woman on my own, I would want a very safe area.

Can anyone recommend the areas we should look for or companies we could try. I presume alot of apartments will be further out of the centre but as long as its short taxi ride or public transport away, this would be fine.

thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

Pasted below is my #14 to your last thread. Please read through the Top Question on "Vacation Rentals" and begin reviewing the rental sites listed below.

Previously you were going to be on your own. Are you looking for a rental for 4 people? All in separate bedrooms? Most housing stock in downtown SF is not that large, but you might find something.

---------------------------------------------------

There aren't many holiday rentals in the Union Square area but there are some around Nob Hill and Russian Hill. Take a look at the Top Questions (right hand side, non mobile version of TA) -- there is one there that has a lot of info as to neighborhoods to look at (and ones to avoid). www.vrbo.com and/or www.airbnb.com are the usual sites to use. Always come back here with the address (or street/cross) street to verify the neighborhood (owner's like to nudge their properties across unmarked boundaries).

However, as you may end up just as far out as the Marina, check prices on whatever you find against the popular Marina motels: Cow Hollow, Coventry, Chelsea. The del Sol as well. Might be about the same (especially if the rental adds a flat cleaning fee) with a lot less booking hassle.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 18:54
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

yes .. been speaking to a few of my colleagues (who i dont know that well) and we have come up with the idea that an apartment rental might be a better cheaper option.

thanks for your help

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

I would gauge the neighborhood by where the conference is happening. If it's near the convention center, I'd stick to the transit spine that shoots out from Market Street. At the very least I'd make sure that I could easily take one bus to my destination.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,331 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

What sfimporter said. Where is said conference, how long is your day there and do you have to return more than once during the day, how many days are you looking to stay? Or will you be skipping some sessions to be tourists?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,085 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

The number of bedrooms is going to be tricky, if you need 3+ bedrooms in an apartment or flat. If you don't need separate bedrooms, but separate beds, maybe some of the hotels recommended for families of 5 or more would work (and should be cheaper than individual hotel rooms). See the Top Questions on the right side of this page (on a non-mobile device).

As far as area, presuming the conference is at/around Moscone Center, then Union Square would be most convenient, then the Embarcadero, North Beach/Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, Fisherman's Wharf and the Marina/Cow Hollow. The budget hotels will likely be located more conveniently than apartments, although there are a few vacation rentals on Telegraph Hill and Russian Hill.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 08:57
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

I have found an apartment on Lombard Street / Telegraph Hill ... apparently walking distance to most things. can anyone confirm that this is a good safe area ? i believe its about half way up the hill to the coit tower ...

any help regarding this area, would be much appreciated ...

thanks for all your help

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

sure that is a good area. as long as you know it is on a hill and you have to climb to get there .

Edited: 20 February 2014, 11:29
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

What's the cross street on Lombard? There are a few quasi-high rise condo buildings built at the bottom of Telegraph Hill (on the east/shear wall side) that are near Levi Plaza. These are nice buildings but it is a bit of a roundabout walk to get to anything, given that Telegraph Hill is in their backyard.

This is one of those time when something could be defined as "Telegraph Hill" and not be what you think.

9. Re: Holiday Rental Apartments - which area ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:18