We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfer question

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Airport transfer question

We arrive on a flight from L.A. into SFO on Wednesday at 5pm. Given the time of day I'm guessing there may be heavy traffic into the city. We are staying at Coventry Motor Inn on Lombard St. Given the aforementioned is there any sense in taking BART to a station in town and then getting a cab ? There are 4 of us - 1 who is 10 so I believe can get a discount fare. Getting a cab is OK but if I can save a few bucks without too much hassle why not ?

Cheers

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfer question

You would save so little money and time by taking BART into town and then switching to a cab that I'd just take a cab from the airport.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfer question

Absolutely agree with our friendly Polar bear._______Just take a cab.

The few dollars savings (very few) and time wasting is not worth it.

Have a great stay.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfer question

Thanks that was my guess - I'm not really worried about a few bucks as this trip is costing me a fortune by the time we get back home. Was more worried about the traffic given the time of day we arrive.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfer question

yes there will be traffic at 5 but the time you take to get BART, purchase tickets, take BART , walk a short distance with bags to a cab and then take a cab v/s taking a cab non-stop to where you are going may be about the same time.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfer question

Cab drivers are generally savvy about how to get around commute traffic.

However, to the Marina, the cab fare is about the same as a car service which is a lot more comfortable ride. I use Pleasant Limo ($57) and they've always provided excellent service. I generally use them TO the airport rather than FROM but have known people that have with equally good results.

They generally wait in the cell phone lot for you to call. If you'd get socked with a large international charge there are still some pay phones around or ask an American at baggage claim. Happens frequently.

www.pleasantlimo.com

London,England
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfer question

Sorry for tagging on here,but can I ask whats the average cab fare from SFO to the Coventry Motor Inn ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfer question

It's been a few years since I did it and I don't recall if it was before/after the last taxi fare increase but (with tip) it was over $60. I live less than a mile west of the Conventry ... so it would be a couple of dollars less to there.

Exact cab fare is $3.50 for flag drop, $.55 for every 1/5 mile, $2 airport surcharge.

It's almost exactly 16 mile from SFO to the Coventry. So (3.5 + 2) + (.55 * 5 * 16) = $49.5 (and who said you'd never need algebra?)

Of course, depending on traffic the cab may go a bit out of their way (using the I280 extension for example) which would be more distance but less time. So the figure quoted above would be the rock bottom lowest it could be.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfer question

Thanks for the excellent replies. After travelling from Sydney we'll more than likely be stuffed so a cab sounds alot better. I do like the idea of a car service if it's around the same price ( thanks Whitedahlia ). Do you tip the driver the same as you would a cabbie ? Tipping is something I never get a handle on.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfer question

Yes, I tip a car service driver about the same as a cab. 15% or so.

The Pleasant Limo site has changed recently but last I used them it was $57 flat rate from SFO to anywhere in SF (minus tip).

10. Re: Airport transfer question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:18