We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco info needed please!!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco info needed please!!

My husband and I will be driving into San Francisco on July 4, 2014 and staying until Monday the 7th. Our two grown children (22, 24) will be meeting us there. Would like suggestions on where to stay (nice hotel for sleeping, not too expensive, plan on being outside the hotel exploring the city but do like comfort) Also, do they have a fireworks show for the 4th and if so where is the best places to watch it? We will be renting bikes and going across GG to Sausilito. Would like to know other recommended sites and activities in SF and Sausilito. Also off the beaten path things to see and do, not the tourist trap stuff. Restaurants, breweries, bakeries, local artisans? Thanks for the help!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

The fireworks in San Francisco are set off from two locations at Fisherman's Wharf (near Municipal Pier/Ghirardelli Square and near Pier 39). However, be aware that frequently the fog prevents you from seeing the fireworks. If you do go, be prepared to walk back to your hotel, as public transit and traffic is overwhelmed for an hour or more after the show ends. The show is about 20 minutes, starting around 9:15 pm.

For a hotel, take a look at one of the Top Questions on the right, as there is information about our main areas for accommodations.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

hi: i can talk a little bit about the neighborhood of North Beach. It's the old Italian neighborhood that is situated between Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. It's completely walkable (except for a hill or two to Coit Tower), filled with sidewalk tables, good restaurants, famous cafes (Cafe Trieste), famous bookstore (City Lights), famous watering holes (Vesuvio, Tosca) and the not so famous (Specs, the Saloon, Gino and Carlos), boutique shops, the beautiful Washington Square park (with visiting wild parrots if you're lucky), a cable car line, the great 30-Stockton Muni bus line, Coit Tower (although it may be under renovation), views of the bay, views of the financial district, wonderful architecture and old buildings, Italian deli (Molinaris)....it's just a great place to wander around, eat lunch and get a feel for part of San Francisco.

Other ideas (not in NB)--- there might be the SF Summer Jazz Sessions held in the city during July....the incredible Stern Grove festival runs from June - August, which is FREE and is a quintessential San Francisco institution....i'm not sure if ArtSpan/Open Studios is around during July but you might look that up...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

The Fillmore Jazz Festival will be July 5 and 6. It's held on Fillmore Street (closed to traffic) from Jackson to Eddy -- which is nearly 15 blocks. Lots of music plus the usual street fair artisan booths, food and drink. It's one of the newer summer street fairs but, with the music, one of the most popular. http://www.fillmorejazzfestival.com/

As far as "off the beaten path" goes, there is a Top Question specifically about that. Also, here is a brief description of neighborhoods in SF. I'd suggest picking one or two and scoping them out. They all have local shops, cafes and restaurants and each seem to attract different types of residents. I find North Beach pretty well tricked out for tourists these days and would suggest Noe Valley, Castro, Inner Richmond or Marina/Cow Hollow for a more local feel. http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

There is a book titled "Stairway Walks in San Francisco" which has some great ideas as well. It's been around a while so probably available at your library or a used copy on Amazon cheap.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

Was wondering how to get to the shopping outlet whilst am visiting sf don't want to go on the wine tasting day trips just to go there wanted to do it independently if possible

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

well, even though I do not live in North Beach anymore, I do visit and perhaps it's nostalgia that overwhelms and clouds the picture but i don't find it anymore 'tricked out' or busy than the Castro, no pun intended, which i lived in for 18 years. Noe Valley, a 5 minute walk from our Castro digs, is a quiet family neighborhood, with lots of strollers and dogs hanging out at Martha's Coffee House and the like. Of course, the Castro and Noe have their particular attractions and vibe like all neighborhoods .... so, i like encourage visitors to spend time in North Beach because it's beautiful, lively, soulful and situated between two major tourist draws, Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf, as well as a popular hotel area, Union Square. Anyway...it's a San Francisco neighborhood certainly worth an appreciated visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

Hi, Just recently stayed at the Serrano Hotel, near Union Square and walking distance to Chinatown and public transportation(Cable Cars TOO!) Great Service, as well as great rooms and I was able to get very, low room rates for my weekend stay. I can Highly recommend The Serrano. Good Luck & Enjoy S.F.

http://www.serranohotel.com/

7. Re: San Francisco info needed please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:17