We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

After reading reviews for nearly every hotel in SF, I have narrowed down my selection to the following.

Can anyone give me any advice on these ?

Best Western plus the tuscan, Fishermans Wharf

Marriott, Fishermans Wharf

Marriott, Union Square (very central but the hotel looks rather large and impersonal)

I will be a solo traveller (for most of my stay) so am looking for a safe area / comfort and location. can anyone help me choose on the above 3 ? I have read the FW area is obviously very touristy but I was thinking that as a solo traveller, I would feel more comfortable on my own in this area ... any advice appreciated from fellow singletons.

thanks in advance.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

Well, I feel more comfortable in the Union Square area where I can walk to all kinds of good restaurants and visit the art exhibits in Union Square. Fisherman's Wharf to me is more like a carnival. If you want a more personal hotel look at the Chancellor, which is just down the street from the Marriott Union Square. It has excellent reviews.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

Fisherman Wharf is enjoyed by many who visit San Francisco.

If you want to see comments on this area if you think it is right for you, see

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d10…

Now about your question regarding the Marriott or Tuscan./

Marriott is good if you hvae Marriot points.

However the Best Western Tuscan is a great place to stay (and we have enjoyed it.)

Its a 5 minute walk to Fisherman Wharf; its easy to get transportation. The hotel staff is stellar and willing to help.

This Best Western is a bit of an "oddity" in that it is both a Kimpton Hotel and a Best Western. Kimpton Hotels are know for their stellar service. One of the things that is nice is a wine hour each night from 5 - 6 (as much wine as you would like accompanied by appetizers - usually like foccacia bread with different toppings) offered by the restaurant that is adjacent to the hotel. This restaurant is good for freakfast/lunch as well.

The wine hours are a popular feature and what's nie for the solo traveler is that you get to talk to lots of wonderfull people each night. (for the hour....and in fact we once carried on for another hour talking with people form New York who was visiting the area.).

The rooms are built around a court yard (ask for those) as they are quiet and not noisy> Some of the Marriot Rooms will be next to the street and a bit more noisy.

The beds are comfy; bathrooms are on the smaller size (which is on par with many hotels in this range in san francisco. Still nice - but just don;t expect large.).

All in all for a solo traveler, the staff here will take good care of you in terms of helping you with any questions you might have during your trip.

Note: Many will say go to Union Square - tis great for shopping, conventions, close to BART, etc.

However,. your choice is just fine...

and in my humble opinion we agree with many who stayed at the BW Tuscan

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d80780-R…

Its a hidden gem....

Edited: 25 February 2014, 01:27
3. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 16:07
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

FW is fine if you don't mind touristy. Some people hate it, others love it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

All TA members are entitled to share their (sometimes very strong) opinions. That is what makes this outlet great. However, causal readers please know that DEs or ,destination experts, are in fact members themselves and do not represent any "official" endorsement by TA or otherwise.

The way FW is trashed here often... I am surprised the GMs of the area hotels have not banded together for a cease and desist request via official TA channels.

I have spent a lot time at the FW recently showing folks around. Sure it's touristy and schlocky or whatever. But the Hyde Cable Car turnaround and the Buena Vista Cafe are iconic SF locale. Lombard St - the most famous crooked part - is a short walk away as are the waterfront along the Embarcadero and North Beach and Chinatown.

The benefits of staying at Union Square are listed above. But staying at FW is an equally fine option for folks who choose to do so. Calling the area "kiddie pool" - and therefore by extension degrading those who choose to stay there as somehow inferior- is really not helping anyone.

I am but a humble former resident who grew up in SF and do not live in SF anymore but come in town many weekends of the month to visit family. Peace out.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

I am also a fan of the Fisherman's Wharf area, and the last time I went, I had a great time with relaitives in November of 2013, and will be back in June.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k702286…

Popular tourist locations are just that, places that tourist like to go to, and Fisherman's Wharf is a perfect example of that.

Some locals might not like it, might not like eating at "chain" Restaurants, even though they are very popular and have good to high standards, going to places like Theme Parks, Factory Tours, places like the Winchester Mystery House, Mystery Spot and other popular Bay Area attractions. Now, are they for everyone, the answer is no. But these places stay in business because the enjoy them and willing to pay the admission price.

Hope that helps.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

Darkbeer

Agree - Fisherman Wharf is a fun place to go as its different, by the water, and has lots to offer....

Yes, it is touristy but its still fun

And yes, the BW Tuscan Inn is a great place to stay in the area....

have a good day....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

To the op. What made you choose these three of the 100s of hotels in Sf ?

I would choose between the Marriott Union sq or the Tuscan - hidden gem? Certainly not hidden and mentioned often by folks on Ta as one of the Fw hotels to stay at - it certainly is hidden if you stay in fremont

By the way Chinita is correct wrt who a DE is especially DEs who have not stayed in our city this century.

One of the DEs has listed places that are not in fishermen's wharf but 1-2 hours away. Not sure why that is relevant to someone asking for a hotel choice in Sf

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

Thanks for your comments. I have been restricted on the hotels I choose because I am attending a conference in the city on the dates I require, and unfortunately alot of hotels are either fully booked or way over priced and out of my budget.

It seems that some love FW and some hate it ... its difficult to know what to do for the best. I intend to visit the following during my very short stay - i will probably have 2.5 days so hope I will have time for this list

Palace of Fine Arts

Department store shopping

Painted Ladies

Fishermans Wharf

Ghirardelli

with regards to location would i be better in union square or fishermans wharf with this itinary ? or does it really not matter. If any can help me out with which attractions I can do in one day (as they are nearby) please let me know. This is my first visit to SF.

thanks in advance for your help

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishermans Wharf - Best Western + Tuscan or Marriott ?

As a solo traveler I would never want to stay in Fisherman's Wharf.

As a traveler wanting to experience San Francisco I would never stay in Fisherman's Wharf anymore. It has become like your great aunt who should have stopped after her 8th facelift. There is little left in Fisherman's Wharf that feels authentically San Franciscan. It is one thing to be touristy, but FW has gone well beyond just touristy and crossed into schlocky.

There are still restaurants I love in the area like Scoma's for their cioppino, the Buena Vista Cafe, Gary Danko and a few others, but it would be like visiting Poundland in Leeds and think you were experiencing Leeds and basing your impression of Leeds based on that.

Union Square is not only a better representation of what San Francisco is, it is also a much better place for a solo traveler than Fisherman's Wharf. Some may choose to discount the convenience of the transportation options in Union Square and gloss over the transportation inadequacies of Fisherman's Wharf, but I don't really understand why. That is a disservice to a visitor.

With your wants on shopping, it is pretty obvious that Union Square isn't just a better choice, it is the only choice. There are no department stores in/near Fisherman's Wharf.

Depending on what you want to do at Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square, I don't think there is much more than an hour or two worth of activities in either.

The Palace of Fine Arts and the Painted Ladies take even less time; you go, snap a few photos and there isn't much else to them.