We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from NZ

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from NZ

My family (me, hubby, 17 & 12 year old) are coming over mid April. I have been once before, 22 years ago and I remember going down to Fisherman's Wharf and watching all the boats come in with their morning catch. Does this still take place and if so which Pier? Also we have booked HOHO with Big Red Bus, was this a right choice? Many thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from NZ

I remember it as you do from those days, and I don't know where they have moved the real meaning of a "fisherman's wharf". It sure is not there anymore. The area is now full of cheap souvenir shops and not very good fish restaurants. Sorry. Somehow the planners who let this happen did not understand that authentic city atmosphere, based on the "real" was worth more than the commercial cr*p they replaced it with

I will leave others to advise you on tour buses....

Have a very good trip.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from NZ

While there are fewer than in the past, there are still commercial fishing boats docked at the Wharf. I have seen fishing boats offloading in the morning at Scoma's (Pier 47) and on the west side of Pier 45, where there still are some commercial fish processing facilities.

I suspect the reduction of the fishing fleet is due more to economics than city planning... it's not like there are huge commercial fleets out of Oakland (like happened with our shipping industry). Small commercial fishing operations are going the way of the small family farm... economies of scale are pushing them out of the market.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from NZ

The only time I do enjoy being at Fisherman's Wharf is early in the morning before the gee-gaw shops open. As others have said there are still some commercial fisherman but not many.

Take a walk around in the early morning and then breakfast at the Buena Vista.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from NZ

That's a pity there's no so many but we will go down and hope to see a few. I presume it's safe to do so early in the morning?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from NZ

Also, does anyone know where I could buy Christmas decorations from at that time of year? I'm hoping to buy a SF cable car one as a souvenir

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming from NZ

http://www.seasonssf.com/

It's the shlocky tourist site at Pier 39, so you know there's a Christmas shop (link above).

And it's plenty safe early morning and late night.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming from NZ

Thank you so much!! Picked my one already- the Alcatraz Santa :)

8. Re: Coming from NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:17