We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

Looking for safe, clean inexpensive hotel in San Fran for my family of 4. Willing to spend 100 a night. Will have a car too. Any suggestions?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

That's going to be a tough budget to hit. Keeping in mind that hotel tax in the city is ~16%. And with a car limits your choices as well (at least those with free parking).

You can check the Columbus Motor Inn near Fisherman's Wharf but I think it will be more than your budget in June.

There are some other options along Lombard Street (west of Van Ness). Try the Cow Hollow (although I checked it recently for late June and came up with $155), Coventry and Chelsea. These are all sister properties to the CMI.

If you need more budget than that there's the Capri and Marina Motel.

Good luck.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

Yeah that's a tough budget if you don't want a dump. Sorry.

I just checked the Geary Parkway Motel that our family uses often. It's $139/night before tax for the first week of June. You make need to readjust your budget (eat in or cheaply) so you can stay at a safe place. I am sure you can do sub $100 but I wouldn't send my friends or family to those places.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 23:14
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

If you are willing to do shared baths, how about the HI Hostel at Ft Mason? You can get a private room for your family of 4. Or do the bunk beds to be really cheap.

www.sfhostels.org/fishermans-wharf/rates/

I have stayed at many HI Hostels in CA in middle and high school, including this one. Have done private rooms and bunk as a kid. It's safe and family friendly. There are other hostels in town near Union Square where you may also get a private room but this one is in a very nice historical setting.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 23:49
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

FYI if anyone is interested, I was part of this as an immigrant latch key youth and it was truly transformative.

norcalhostels.org/hostel-adventures/outdoor/…

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

You "might" be able to meet your budget off-season (tax included, I've done it more than once), but I'm aftaid during the summer vacation season, especially with a car, it's going to be difficult to impossible.

Check out the Top Questions (right hand side of forum, non-mobile version). There is one on budget hotels. While its probably the best place to start, I'm still afraid you're going to find most will be more like $150 or so (if you're luckily after tax, unlucky it will be before tax).

Good luck,

hlo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

You might find something for $100 if you look outside the City.

Daly City maybe?

Even then it will be very basic.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

If you go outside of the city you will be paying for transportation into it for the family, which will add to the cost of the room. Even if you drive in the car, you will have to park it once you get into the city and parking is not free and readily available unless you put it in a garage for the day. And I cannot find a place in Daly City for a family of four for $100.

The best suggestion so far is White Dahlia's message, #1. A motel with free parking and family-type accommodations. I would start with the Columbus Motor Inn and the Cow Hollow Inn a Suites both of which we have stayed at and which I know can accommodate a family.

Since you are driving from Portland and then going on to Lemoore I see why you will need your car. I think you just need to reconsider your budget requirements. I am wondering if you found a room for your family in Portland for $100?

Please, if you find accommodation for the family for $100, don't book it until you come back to the forum and check it out with the members here. We don't want you in an unsafe neighborhood in a flea bag.

Yes, good luck.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

Check out the San Remo, on Mason between Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach. There's no parking, so you'll be limited to street parking (which is pretty restricted/non-existent during daylite hours), but I think their rates are right around $100/night, although I don't know if they have rooms that fit 4 people. (And bathrooms are down the hall....)

Otherwise there's not much on offer for that rate, I'm afraid, other than those options suggested above.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

Chinita's suggestion of the hostel at Fort Worth is an excellent one, especially if you're not staying too long and are happy to use a shared bathroom.

It's a great location, and it offers free parking - very rare in SF.

Otherwise, you're looking at around $150 a night for a motel in the Marina/Cow Hollow area. That 's still pretty good value, and you get complete privacy (as far as the bathroom goes).

Good luck - I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive hotel in as San Francisco for June?

That would be "the hostel at Fort MASON" as Fort Worth is in Texas.

I also think the hostel at Fort Mason is a great idea. Do not delay booking, as it is quite popular.

Here's one of the sites you can read about it and book it

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI---San-Francisco…