We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

Hi,

I'm visiting LA in August and would like advice on which area to stay in SF. I'm a single female and will be using public transport to visit the tourist attractions.

Could you suggest which area to stay in?

Many thanks

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

In the Top Questions section to the right, there are a couple of applicable links -

Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)

Budget Hotels, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated Feburary 2014)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

<<I'm visiting LA in August and would like advice on which area to stay in SF.>>

I'm assuming your reference to LA was a mistake?

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

I would suggest the Union Square area. Traveling solo, I find it to be an excellent hub for exploring the city, and in the evening there are plenty of shops and restaurants to explore. It always feels safe. You'll find the public transport easy to navigate. Have fun!

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

Union Square area is always very busy and safe, but I would reccomend to stay East of Mason street.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

"East of Mason Street" is a little arbitrary. If you stay east of Mason Street you leave out some very good hotels......the Adagio (recently became a Marriott), the Monaco, the Clift, the Serrano, the Warsick and the Hilton Union Square.

california
Level Contributor
643 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

I love staying at the Chancellor Hotel at Union Square. The rooms are small but impeccable, the service fantastic, the rates are great and the location can't be beat.

When I am traveling alone sometimes I'll give the front desk a note letting them know roughly what I plan on doing and when I'm expecting to return before I head out for the night. It just makes me feel more comfortable when traveling solo in an unfamiliar city.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

I agree that the Chancellor would be a good place for you. We stay there often. There is a lovely small restaurant which serves breakfast and lunch and an intimate bar tucked behind the lobby. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

Thanks for the advice and info. Will check out the info.

Yes!! The reference to LA was a mistake.

Thanks

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

I have advised many single travellers to stay at the Chancellor and each one was extremely pleased with the hotel and perfect location.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for a single female - where to stay?

Check out Noe Valley - there are options on airbnb and it's a very cute neighborhood that is close to the J Muni line (and depending on where in Noe, BART). It's a safe neighborhood with boutiques, bakeries, etc.