We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With First Trip To SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pgh,pa
Level Contributor
179 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Help With First Trip To SF

My wife and I will be flying into SF Oct 4th for 7 nights. We arrive early Sat and thought about staying at Columbus Motor Inn. We will see some sights on Sat,and visit a family student at Cal U Berkely on Sunday. We would then see more sights for a day or 2 and then rent a car for a few days for some road trips North and South. My questions are mainly is it easy to rent a car in the city, and take public transport from the airport and back, or does it make more sense to rent a car at the airport for the entire stay even though we will not use it most days. Or should we only stay in SF for a few nights and then stay elsewhere? Thanks to all for help as we await our first trip to California

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With First Trip To SF

General forum advice is that if you can avoid it, *don't* have a car while in the SF. Now, you happen to have a hotel that offers free parking, so you avoid that cost, but you'll still have the car rental fees, parking costs if you drive anywhere, traffic headaches, lose time finding parking spaces, etc. There's only a few things that most tourists are interested in doing where having car is helps more than it hinders.

All the major car companies have rental locations in Union Square and/or Fisherman's Wharf. Generally we hear that rates are lower for city rental than SFO rentals and that there is (usually) no drop fee for picking up in the city & dropping at SFO (and for what it's worth, vice-versa).

That's my $.02 on that,

hlo

Edited: 03 March 2014, 17:12
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,724 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With First Trip To SF

I agree with Huntlawoffices (no affiliation). We rent only when we travel outside the immediate SF area, and either walk, cab or use public transportation in the city. We most often rent from Hertz, and there are several locations, in the "downtown," so we just pickup/drop off at a location near to us. Fewer car models to choose from usually, but that is not an issue, as we're looking for transportation, and not a flashy convertible for several days up/down the coast.

As for transportation to/from SFO, the BART has many good scheduled runs, with stations sprinkled around SF. Most are also close to other public transportation, so you should be fine. Schedules and maps abound on line.

We have taken to using a towncar service, but that is because we are often flying out to other cities on business, so have more luggage. Also, we are usually on a short timeline, having meetings in SF, shortly after our arrival. While not the cheapest way to do it, it makes our lives easier, and that service has never let us down. In the end, it has proved to be a value, at least to us.

Travel safely, and enjoy SF plus some of the rest of California.

Hunt

3. Re: Help With First Trip To SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16