We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boutique Hotel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Boutique Hotel

I recently asked for help finding a hotel with a balcony in San Francisco for this October. I knew about the Orchard Garden and after some positive feedback on here I went to book. Oops, $1469 for three nights, we wanted five nights but they couldn't manage. I think I'm best to ditch the balcony idea.

We prefer smaller family run hotels, but quality is our main thing. Any suggestions for a hotel in the right area, which I think seems to be around Union Square?

Hidden Garden Steps
Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Golden Gate Park Windmills & Tulips
Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fay Park
Gardens, Parks
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boutique Hotel

Whoops, that fancy balcony room wasn't cheap!

There are some wonderful boutique hotels in the Union Square area.

The Chancellor is one of the few that is still family run. Excellent location and great service. Small rooms however. But they have a couple of suites on the top floor which may be within your budget.

Other suggestions: Prescott and Monaco are Kimpton Hotels which is a highly thought of management company. Rex, White Swan and Petite Auberge are JDV hotels, similar to Kimpton. The Inn at Union Square is another option (not to be confused with the Union Square Hotel). The Adagio now belongs to Marriott but was recently a JDV hotel and has a nice vibe. The Handlery is another possibility.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,726 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boutique Hotel

I think someone mentioned how expensive October can be in your other post.

What are your exact dates ?

The Chancellor would be an excellent choice .

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boutique Hotel

We stay at the Chancellor frequently and like it very much.

As White Dahlia says, the rooms are small, but even though another of our favorite hotels is modern with large rooms, we don't feel constrained by the size of the rooms at the Chancellor. Well, the bathroom is tiny but has a huge and deep tub and comes with bath salts and a yellow rubber ducky. They also have a "pillow menu" from which you can choose a pillow type of your choice. (I have never done that, I am happy with the pillows on the bed.) :~)

They also have a lovely small restaurant for breakfast and lunch, with fantastic and enthusiastic service and fresh flowers on the tables. And an intimate bar tucked behind the lobby where strangers end up trading travel stories. (The very efficient and personable bartender's name is "Alicia".)

Except for the balcony, if you can handle an historic boutique hotel, recently redecorated, with a lobby where you can sit and watch cable cars go by, this is a good place for you.

This hotel does not seem to be so impacted when the conventions are in town, but I always make our reservations some months ahead, not only to make sure we have a room, but for better prices.

Do read the Trip Advisor reviews.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 01:48
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boutique Hotel

Exact dates arrive 6th October, depart 11th October.

Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,322 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boutique Hotel

Check your other post to see of this coimcides with a convention. If so how about a vacation rental?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boutique Hotel

Open to all suggestions

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boutique Hotel

Oracle World ends on the 2nd but there is generally some holdover.

However, you have scheduled to be here right in the middle of Fleetweek. Those two events drive prices pretty high at the beginning of October.

Hotels will be setting their prices high this far out. I would book something with a no penalty cancellation then look for something cheaper closer to the date of travel.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boutique Hotel

My experience is that you do not find cheaper rates closer to the date of travel. Make a non-cancellable reservation somewhere now, and keep looking.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boutique Hotel

Chancellor has availability for that time frame for $250/night. I would jump on this.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,909 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boutique Hotel

Nice family owned boutiques in SF I like the Cornell Hotel de France, the Handlery, The Chancellor and even though they are managed by Greystone Hotels, I think the Griffon and Inn at Union Square are great boutiques as well.