We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big family vacation

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McCalla
2 posts
Save Topic
Big family vacation

We are flying into San Francisco and will be in California for 2 weeks. We have 2 sons 13 & 12. We would like to drive to Redwood National Forest and stay overnight. Then go to Yosemite for another overnight stay. We plan to drive back to San Francisco via Hwy 1 and spend remainder of trip taking in the sights of the city. Any suggestions on best places to stay & things we shouldn't miss? Thanks! Never been to California so very excited for our trip in June.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big family vacation

You're hear for two weeks but want to drive 4-5 hours to stay 1 night (RNP) and then spend another 5+ hours to spend another night (YNP)? Then spend the rest of the time in SF? As much as I love San Francisco that doesn't make much sense.

Additionally, when you leave Yosemite, Highway 1 is not the road back to SF. Do you plan to drive to Pismo Beach or so and drive up Highway 1 up through Big Sur to SF?

Further, this is the SF forum which is all about experiences in the city. I'd suggest you move up a level to the CA forum and read the Top Questions (right side of screen) for a lot of itinerary info.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big family vacation

Gina, you desperately need a map. Not a "small screen" one, but a nice paper one, which shows mileage between destinations

Redwood National Forest is, as I remember, 5 or 6 hours north San Francisco and Yosemite is 500 miles south of that. Google says over 8 hours. They are not exactly one-night stops.

Highway 1 in California is on the coast. You would not drive it between Yosemite National Park and San Francisco.

Read all the Top Questions on the right of the screen (can't see them if you are on a mobile device)....get a big map and then come back and the nice folks here will help you have a great trip.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big family vacation

It's more like 9 hours from Redwood NP to Yosemite NP. Yikes! And no lodging reservations for Yosemite?

Open the full TripAdvisor website, even if you're on a phone. Look at those recommended Top Questions on the California forum.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big family vacation

(White Dahlia and I often end up typing at the same time.) She is correct....go to the California forum for the Top Questions. I didn't notice that we were on the SF forum.

Good luck in your planning, Post on the California forum as well.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big family vacation

Well, we ladies (White Dahlia, Puter, and Pacific NWFamily) are tripping all over each other at the same time <grin>. But at least we agree.

Good luck, Gina, I hope we have helped you by giving you a dose of the reality of California geography, to help you revise your plans.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 02:12
McCalla
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Big family vacation

Thanks! Like I said we've never been to California so any help is appreciated. :) We definitely want to see redwoods, I want to drive the coast & hubby wants to see Yosemite. Plus we want kiddos to have a memorable trip. Doesn't have to be in any specific order. Trying to get a plan together. Also I'm new to this site so be patient with me lol. Hubby travels a lot for work and will try to cram so much in that it won't be fun for us so I'm trying to get a reality check for him as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big family vacation

As a future visitor, may I chime in? Redwoods are located in numerous places. Some of those places are very far north of SF. But, just for example, Muir Woods is just outside the city to the north. I believe there is a TA article on redwoods if you look to the upper right ( probably not when you're on a phone, though).

I agree about maps. Super useful when planning a trip! I have my map of California right here, and then I'll bring it on the trip. California is huge, but happily a lot of good stuff is fairly close to SF.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big family vacation

That's a lot of driving...from one who likes to drive.

An alternate plan might be to visit redwoods>>>>SF sights>>>>yosemite.

Another might be SF sites>>>yosemite>>>>kings canyon>>>>SF. Yosemite and kings, while still far apart from each other and SF are at least in the same general direction. In any event, Thats still a lot of windshield time.

9. Re: Big family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:23