We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear.

south wales
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear.

Hi All

Can you give me some advice on what to wear in SF? We will be visiting in early September and will be sightseeing during the day. Evenings will be mainly dining in nice but casual places and maybe a bar. We will be seeing Beach Blanket Babylon one evening. Are there any dress codes for SF?

Thanks, Angela

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear.

I think this thread has it covered: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k725904…

I don't think I dress much differently in March than I do in September, perhaps the layers are a bit lighter but not much. (Let's put it this way, my "summer" and "winter" wardrobes are the same thing.)

Unfortunately, except in the most fancy of restaurants, this is no longer the "dressed up" town it once was.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear.

Ditto WhiteDahlia. When I moved here from Dallas (a whole 14 years ago), I was pretty shocked at how, well, "casual" is one way to put it (crummy is another) people dress in San Francisco. In Dallas, people get dressed up to go the the grocery store! But I did get used to it. I don't mind being overdressed at all when I go out here. I love wearing pretty dresses and fancy shoes. But I'd be surprised if there is anywhere in San Francisco that has a dress code. It's jeans and untucked shirts as far as the eye can see...

sf
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear.

September is generally our warmest time of the year, with little or no Fog which for Wales would probably be quite warm compared to home. Shorts would be OK during the day, especially if heading out of town. I agree we tend to be a bit more casual than other cities but I still see people dressing up at nice restaurants, its just not a requirement any longer. Probably why people come to visit, then move here.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear.

Definitely dress casually in SF, re: jeans, comfortable shoes, a sweater or a nice, casual jacket. While September often has warm days (sometimes very warm), but the evenings can get cool.

I've seen young men at dinner at Gary Danko wearing jeans with nice shoes and a jacket. Most visitors find that SFers dress very relaxed and casual. If you wear jeans day & night, you'll fit right in! I hope you have a great trip to this beautiful city!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear.

<< I was pretty shocked at how, well, "casual" is one way to put it (crummy is another)>>

I was referring to 40 years ago. And I don't think people look "crummy." Just not dressed up.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear.

We are an informal bunch... but appreciate when people dress up..

As a male, blue jeans are acceptable dress in most cases if I wear a nice shirt... (I tend towards button down oxford knits...) and a jacket... I have both a blazer and a corduroy sport coat... This is the 90% point for us... upgrade by adding a tie (extra points for a Cal tie...) and maybe slacks... A suit is for funerals and for very formal events... (i do have a both tails and a dinner jacket... those are for costume or places not here... ) If suit we notice if not tailored... so details count... I have done Gary Danko in Khakis and a button down shirt with a blazer... No tie... Steve Jobs showed us that jeans and a black turtleneck was a power suit...

Women wear black... black yoga pants, black slacks... black coats... add a colored blouse for contrast... or dress for the red carpet... or somewhere in between... all is appreciated... very uncomfortable shoes with red soles are noted and understood...

San Francisco is no longer my grandmother's place where one wore white glove and shoes and boater hats from Memorial Day to Labor Day but not before or after...

SF is cold in the afternoon and evening.. more so summer... less so in fall and spring... so layers are a great idea... in summer, about 3:00 the fog rolls in and tourists flock to the street vendors selling cheap Alcatraz sweat shirts and fleeces. This is a local joke...

So, in review, wear what is comfortable... that makes you happy and we will join in your happiness...

As to our tolerance... I once wore a 19th century cut sack coat, a white boiled shirt, plad pants held up by braces and bowler in SF for a celebration of the 1906 earthquake Properly dressed for 1906... then took the cable car to the wharf for breakfast then cable car back... and no body noticed...

I have been known to have worn a bowler randomly...

Randy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear.

I agree that no one particularly cares what you wear. As a guy, I'd probably wear a shirt with a collar (polo shirt or button-up shirt) rather than a t-shirt to dinner. Nice jeans are generally fine and you will not feel out of place, but you can always dress better than that if you like--but probably not required.

Honestly, I see many people who are more clothed here in the summer than some other places I've lived and visited. More often than not, it's tourists wearing shorts with goose bumps on their bare legs because they packed the wrong clothes rather than locals freezing out in the summer. I think the tourists were thinking of Bay Watch, but that isn't San Francisco, and we don't issue surf boards to everyone who moves here either. ;-)

I honestly don't see all that much t-shirts, shorts and sandals here and I see that kind of attire a lot more some other places in the country. I suppose there are people wearing hoodies that can be sloppy, but there are also people who dress nicely, neatly and fashionably--though usually not that formally.

But I can't see anyone particularly caring what you wear.

south wales
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear.

Thankyou for your advice. I was aware of the climate conditions so had planned on jeans for sightseeing. I shall bring a couple of smart casual outfits for evening but no Laboutins RandyHees!!

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear.

We visited SF from the Uk last October last year visiting again October this year, I found the weather during the day pretty similar to summers day here in the UK, on an evening we found it got really chilly so much so myself and my wife bought coats, You will love SF in October great city great weather, just hope this October there is not another goverment shut down. My favourite US city. The people are sooooo chilled.

10. Re: What to wear.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:17