We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fastest way south of city

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
152 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
fastest way south of city

Monday morning 8-9am i would like the fast route south out of SF by car. I am staying at Lombard and van ness.I am heading to Santa Cruz and points beyond on the coast. Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fastest way south of city

You will be in some rush traffic and your starting point is some distance from the southbound freeways.

I would take Gough (2 blocks west of Van Ness) -> Fell or Page (R) -> Octavia (L) which will enter the Central Freeway. The road will "Y" -- stay to the right for Highway 101S. Continue to I380W (near the airport) -> I280S.

Once you're on the freeway the traffic shouldn't be too bad. Once on I280 it's generally clear sailing.

By the time you get to San Jose rush should be over but take Highway 85S ->17S. Highway 17 will take you over the mountains and drop you right into Santa Cruz. An alternative, if you would prefer to see more of the coast is to exit I280S at Highway 92 W which will connect with Highway 1 at Half Moon Bay. It's a slightly longer drive but not excessively so.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fastest way south of city

I'd connect to Highway 1 from I-280 in Daly City, and head south through Pacifica. Commute traffic can be pretty heavy on I-280 southbound until you get to I-380.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
152 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fastest way south of city

Thankyou. Those are pretty clear to follow. I realize #1 is more scenic in Pacifica area but we are short in time. Our coast time will focus on Big Sur later in the day. That is where we want to see #1. We have done the Monterey area many times so we will drive through. So many nice roads. We just have to pick. So getting out of SF our focus is just to make time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fastest way south of city

Just so you know 280 stretch will be relatively fast from San Francisco - but will get slow again around Stanford/Palo Alto area to San Jose till about 9:30 or so. Just try to stay in your left hand lanes as much as possible during this stretch to avoid people getting off the freeway.to go to work at Stanford and Silicon Valley companies.

5. Re: fastest way south of city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18