We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

Are golden gate park park streets closed on Sunday? I want to see the Science exposition that opens at 12 on Sundays. Related to that , We are staying on Lombard with free parking. Should we take a bus? We are happy to buy a day pass and see other sights that day closer to union square etc.. How about renting a bike? We are avid cyclists and the hills of SF would not be a problem. If so, is there a good location to rent from where we are. Maybe fishermans wharf?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

A long section of JFK Drive on the east side of the Park is closed on Sundays (from Stanyan to Cross Over).

If you're referring to the Academy of Sciences, it opens at 11AM on Sundays.

I live in the Marina and am at the de Young museum with regularity. When I have to be there on Sundays I take the bus as parking is difficult with the road closure and the parking lot under the Concourse is expensive, and more so on weekends.

Walk to Laguna and Chestnut (5 blocks) and catch the 28-19th Ave bus. It's a pretty quick ride to Park Presidio and Fulton. Cross both Park Presidio and Fulton and enter the Park through the Rose Garden. The large copper clad building in front of you is the de Young. Walk around it to the left and across the Concourse will be the Academy.

There is a bike rental place on Lombard Street near your hotel but unless you are truly prepared for 1) steep hills and 2) city riding I don't recommend it. But if you do, ride through the Presidio and out the Arguello Gate. Continue along Arguello (bike lane) to the Park. The entrance will be blocked to cars but bikes can go around the barricade. Go up the hill, turn right and you'll come to JFK Drive. Turn right about 1/4 mile to Tea Garden Dr. and the Academy.

There are also bike rentals in the Park if you'd like to explore the (enormous) Park by bike. They're behind the bandshell at the Concourse.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

Bike Bike Bike! It is the only way you'll see the most of the park.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

It's fun to ride in GGP on the weekends with the closed streets. Since you are avid cyclists the park won't seem all that big by bike. You can ride all the major routes in a couple of hours. I'm talking about just riding, not stopping and seeing all the sights.

One of my favorite rides is across the Golden gate bridge, up the Marin headlands, out near Pt Bonita lighthouse and back. Hopefully I'll be doing that ride tomorrow. If you do that route, it might be best to rent a bike at Crissy Field or The western end of the Wharf area.

4. Re: Golden gate park on sunday--bike or car or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:20