We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail running

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bentonville...
7 posts
Save Topic
Trail running

Hello! My husband and I will be visiting in mid May. We are training for a few races and need to run while we are there. We are looking for trail routes (preferably a loop or an out and back) that are around 12-15 miles. I found a website for the California Coastal Trail. Do people run there? Are there other places anyone would suggest? Thanks so much!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail running

Yes, people do run the Coastal trail ... but it's on the far west end of the city. Where are you starting from?

There are great trails in the Presidio: presidio.gov/explore/….UxqDB2eYZMs

As well in Golden Gate Park although I couldn't find a good trail map, there are lots of trails especially on the west end of the Park.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail running

At 12 to 15 miles per run you can pretty much run all the way across the city and back. We also have good public transit, though I suppose you might be sweaty and smelly after a run, but it can take you back to where you are staying from most anywhere (or alternately you might transit somewhere to start).

It seems like you might enjoy running through green spaces more than on city streets with traffic and lots of people.

The panhandle and the Golden Gate Park are probably a good place to traverse the middle part of San Francisco to the west side (and is probably about 3.5 miles). From there, the coastal trail and through the Presidio might be pleasant. You could even run along the north waterfront through Crissy Field. Perhaps look at Google Maps to see where all the green spaces are in San Francisco since it seems like you'll be focusing on those areas.

Like WhiteDahlia says, it's helpful to know where your starting point will be in order to give more specific information since 14 miles is a run from the east side of the city to the west and back again, but for broad loops things might be different since you may also go north to south. It's also helpful to know if you want to avoid hills or you really don't care. There are hills everywhere--some minor and some quite major.

3. Re: Trail running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 19:58
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail running

<<I've never taken it but I think there is a bus from the city somewhere over to Fort Cronkheit (Rodeo Lagoon).>>

Indeed there is. It runs Saturday and Sunday only however and makes about a dozen stops in the Headlands. If you want more details on it, let us know. It's a quick trip from Union Square as it makes minimal stops (76X-Marin Headlands).

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail running

"We also have good public transit, though I suppose you might be sweaty and smelly after a run, but it can take you back to where you are staying from most anywhere"

Sweaty and smelly Muni riders is the norm.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail running

Speak for yourself bear butt :)

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trail running

I prefer running trails and being close to nature myself but when in SF my favorite is to run along the Embarcadero. Starting at the Ferry Building (or even AT&T Park) you can run along the waterfront through FW, Fort Mason, Marina Green, Crissy Field to the Golden Gate Bridge pretty much non stop. All the while taking in one iconic SF view after another. Trails are nice but an early morning run along the bay in SF is spectacular..

8. Re: Trail running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:21