We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican University

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
1 post
Save Topic
Dominican University

We are driving from Washington, (the state) in a few weeks to check out Dominican University with our 17 year old daughter. Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area? I checked it out but didn't find much. Also, how much time should we allow to get to San Francisco from there for some sight seeing?

Thank you! Valerie

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican University

Put this in the San Rafael forum if you don't get replies.

You also could stay in the City and drive to San Rafael from the City. A little more exciting for your daughter,

The commute to SF could take 35 to 60 minutes, depending on commute traffic, which is fierce. Try to stay away from drive times, especially from SF to SR in the 3-7 pm time if you can. There are also Golden Gate Transit buses which go into SF on a regular basis from San Rafael, if you don't want to pay big parking fees.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican University

Near the Dominican campus in San Rafael, I would suggest Four Points by Sheraton in San Rafael, just up US 101 from Dominican. starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/…

If you'll be driving into San Francisco, I'd allow 45 minutes to an hour, and suggest you start your trip after the commute rush hour (after 9 AM).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican University

Check the TripAdvisor listings for San Rafael hotels. In addition to the Four Points, there is an Embassy Suites just off the U.S. 101 Freeway. And there's an Extended Stay hotel in the semi-industrial area across the I-580 highway from the sewage treatement plant (not a problem most of the year).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican University

I drive up to San Rafael all the time in the morning (granted I usually leave about 10AM) and it takes me 17 minutes from the western Marina to the downtown San Rafael. I could be wrong but I didn't think northbound traffic was an issue in the morning. Yes, the GG Bridge is down to 2 lanes northbound during commute hours but after that I would think it would be at the speed limit.

If you would prefer to stay in the city yet have easy access to the GG Bridge (and free parking) then I would look into the some of the motor inns on Lombard. Less than 5 minutes drive time to the GG Bridge. Check the Cow Hollow, Coventry and Chelsea. It's an area that is walking distance to many local shops and restos and has a young vibe as well.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican University

I'd imagine it would be better to stay near Dominican, to get a feel for what the area is like both during the day and evening.

That said, Dominican is in a relatively quiet area.

6. Re: Dominican University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17