We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz nite tour

Buffalo, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Alcatraz nite tour

Does anyone know if this tour ever runs on Tuesday or Wednesday? I see that it doesn't currently not sure if this is a winter thing or year round. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

Those are the two days of the week that the night tour does not run -- regardless time of year.

Here's a comparison of the tours. Note the comment in the "Availability" section: https:/…tour-comparison.aspx

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

It appears that for spring months at least (until June) there are no night tours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You can only book up to 90 days out. When you have your travel dates, and 90 days prior, check out the official website to book:

Alcatrazcruises.com

The day tours are very worth while, so it won't be a tragedy if you cannot get a night tour. On foggy nights, you wouldn't have a view anyway. That is in the summer, when it can be very foggy and windy. Mittens, caps and warm jackets a must

Edited: 09 March 2014, 01:29
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

There are never night tours on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

Hmmmm...so for a night tour we need to bring hats and gloves? Don't know if I feel like packing that for a summer trip. We've been living with that the past 3 months. Are you outside alot when on the island, or inside?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

Actually, you should bundle up even when going to Alcatraz on the day tour. In some ways even more so during the day because you can be outside more on the day tour.

I've been over on a fairly warm (for SF) day and it was still very breezy on Alcatraz (it sits directly facing the Golden Gate so there is no wind break). I wore a turtleneck, fleece vest, jacket, hat and gloves. I only occasionally took the gloves off. The rest stayed on throughout the trip.

Inside the cell house, while out of the wind, is pretty chilly and clammy too.

SF never gets overly warm in summer but out on the waterfront or on the water it's a lot cooler than the published temps. Certainly not like a Midwest winter, but a LOT cooler than a Midwest summer. I have a couple of fleece vests and a lightweight down one that I wear year round.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

Thanks. At least I know to be prepared. I guess we can each bring something warm...doesn't have to be furred lined hats the boys wear in the winter.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

I am the type of person who is always hot, and I was cold on my night trip. I wore a tee shirt, a sweatshirt and a windbreaker. The views were great at night in June when I was there.

8. Re: Alcatraz nite tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17