We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

Hello! I am looking into going to SF for a few days. I am not comfortable of driving around there so I am hoping to stay in a great central location where there is accessible (and easy!) public transportation to go to the typical tourist spots: fishermans wharf, ferry building, etc.

What location and preferably hotel in that location would you suggest? I keep reading about Union Square. Hoping to do nothing more than $180/night

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

Union Square is it for most with your requirements. Check put the TOP QUESTIONS on the right side of this page, on a non mobile device, for answers to almost every question you could ask.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

Have a look at the Argonaut. We stayed here for 3 days and walked to many local areas. Transportation via bus or cable car or even the hop on hop off tour bus is nearby. Argonaut has wine tastings in the happy hour. We enjoyed and would return. Just walking, jogging around the area is worth the stay. Cable car is around the corner and will take you to Union Square in under 20 minutes. Fisherman's Wharf is a few blocks away. Highly recommend this restored warehouse . Good restaurant is attached. Hope this helps, check it out!

Edited: 09 March 2014, 04:21
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

The building the Argonaut is in was once a Del Monte canning factory (hence the name "The Cannery), it was not a warehouse. Further, I don't consider Fisherman's Wharf to be central for public transit in the city. And certainly not as easy access to the airport as Union Square or the Embarcadero which are directly on the BART line from the airport.

If someone wishes to the stay at the Wharf then the Argonaut is a lovely option and certainly the best at the Wharf.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

I was a tourist in your wonderful city and only responded to the original request and what we found to be an enjoyable area. It is a photographer's mecca , especially early in the morning. Most tourists would take a taxi to the hotel of their choice if they have limited time. Union Square is like a concrete jungle, which you can find in any major city. I still would recommend The Argonaut and yes it was the Delmonte Cannery, which also warehoused stock.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

I have stayed twice at Sheraton FW and with a muni passport and the f line trolley, cable cars and buses found we can get to most attractions very easily. The Argonaut is quite expensive but you do get what you pay for. This time we are staying at Harbor Court which is a sister hotel to the Argonaut to be near the Ferry Building and its farmers market

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

I wouldn't refer to San Francisco or Union Square as a "concrete jungle". Union Square is a great area with access to all areas via Muni and Bart. FW is overrun with crappy tourist shops selling typical junk clothes made in China.

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

Thanks for the replies...look like I can probably stick with the Union Square area.

Any thoughts of Parc 55 or other hotels there?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

The Parc 55 is fine. There are many hotels of all kinds in the Union Square area. Look at the Top Questions on the right of your screen, if you are not on a mobile device, and also TA hotel reviews for San Francisco and then come back with some choices for feedback on location, etc.

9. Re: Best hotel/area to stay w/accessible public transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:19