We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor to San Francisco

first time visitor to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor to San Francisco

There's nothing quite like the strip. But relatively central locations are Union Square or the Embarcadero. Not everything is walking distance from either location, but SF has a decent enough public transit system that you don't have to drive anywhere in the city.

It is very unlikely to be hot in June. It is more likely to be windy and chilly, foggy and damp in some parts. You may want a jacket and a scarf, maybe even a ski cap.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor to San Francisco

I take it you didn't visit last August after all? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k647285…

It's never that hot here and my response in your previous post with regards to August is pretty much the same for June.

Check the Top Questions (right side of screen) for an excellent description of the popular areas for first timers to stay.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor to San Francisco

I'll just add that (in my opinion) there aren't *any* hotel areas in SF where driving is necessary and/or that a combination of walking & public transit won't serve you as well (or better) than driving. Okay, maybe a few of the hotels in the further scattered in the outlying neighborhoods, but certainly not any of the main tourist hotel areas.

That's my $.02 on that,

hlo

California
Level Contributor
11,903 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor to San Francisco

hi: there isn't anything remotely similar between Las Vegas and San Francisco....although perhaps the Barbary Coast provided all kinds of excitement during the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

You will find great city neighborhoods and most are easily walkable...San Francisco also has a good bus system, trolleys and cable cars to get around. A lot of decent lodging is in Union Square, which is 'centrally located' enough...you can take the 30 Stockton bus to Chinatown and continue on to North Beach and then continue on to Fisherman's Wharf and continue to the Marina, Fort Mason and the water ...... do read up in a good guide book about these neighborhoods for things to see and do....

Mentioned in this post
The Barbary Coast
The Barbary Coast
9 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Stockton
Stockton
California
5. Re: first time visitor to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 06:17