We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

We will be in San Francisco for Easter and we've never been to America before.... Where can I get the best chocolate in San Francisco?! So I can tell the Easter bunny where to go!

Thank you :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,150 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Best is so subjective. There is a chocolate tour of SF for that bunny. Plenty of pastry shops have chocolate . I like the chocolate shop in Hayes valley and there is one in the ferry building as well. A few blocks north on the Embarcadero is Tcho chocolate factory and you can book a tour in advance

Tourists like Ghiradelli in the square by that name

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
827 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Great, thank you!! I want to eat some good quality milk chocolate on Easter Sunday!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,065 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Best all-purpose chocolates (and an old SF company) is See's Candy, with a location downtown on Market at Sutter. A good selection of chocolate from all over is found at Fog City News, at 455 Market.

Really good (high-end) chocolate can also be found at TCHO, Recchiuti, Chocolate Lab, Dandelion, Charles (I think these are all locally made).

Ghirardelli is pretty good mass-market chocolate, sold at Walgreen's and other local stores as well as in their flagship soda fountain at Ghirardelli Square (and two retail locations near Union Square -- in the Westfield SF Shopping Center and at Market and New Montgomery).

Edited: 19 March 2014, 04:46
Mentioned in this post
Sutter
Sutter
California
Dandelion
Dandelion
4 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,356 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Another vote for See's candy. It might be a little nostalgia but their chocolate is decent. I check out their seasonal stuff all the time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

I have to say my favorite chocolate in SF is the thick slab on top of the jumbo custard eclair at Victoria Pastry Co.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d20…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

I grew up on See's - so to me it's like Rusell Stover, or something you'd buy at Wallgreen's.

TCHO is moving to the East Bay soon, I've read, so their location is closing.

I will throw in Cocoa Bella at Westfield and top of the line Recchiuti at the Ferry Building, but I do love the milk chocolate at Ghirardelli.

And I long for the days when Joseph Schmidt had a chocolate shop in the Castro - the best gift boxes ever (now you can find it at Macy's, but it's no longer made locally and is owned by Hershey).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Don't forget Frango Mints!!!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

@sfmporter: I cannot believe you compared See's to Russel Stover! People *wait in line* at their stores. To say nothing of the free samples. Granted, "best" is subjective, but dissing See's as Walgreen's quality is just plain pejorative. Iconic California chocolate company. +1 for See's!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,529 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

We also like Sees but don't think there is such a thing as "good" milk chocolate(hehe)

It is dark all the way for us!

sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Australians in San Francisco for Easter!

Another vote for Sees, its a local company with factories on the SF Peninsula, so the candy is always fresh.

Like some others it has always been the 1st choice for Easter Candy, and for many other occasions