We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

We would like to rent bikes on Sat or Sunday, ride from Fisherman's Wharf across the GG Bridge, lock bikes by the ferry in Sausalito and take bus to and from Muir Woods back to the ferry in Sausalito for the ferry ride back to Fisherman's Wharf. Is this feasable in one June day? Can we take the bus to Muir Woods around 12 and be back for the ferry?

Thanks

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

I have the same question! Wondering what is the best way to get to Muir Woods if we are stopping off in Sausalito, although I was thinking there may be an option even to bike the trail in Muir Woods? Thanks in advance.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

Unless you are extremely fit and experienced road cyclers I would strongly recommend against trying to ride bikes to Muir Woods. It's very steep and the road is winding and, in places, narrow.

You could ride as far as Sausalito and catch the shuttle to Muir Woods. It runs weekends in summer (this year they're restarting on March 29).

The ride from Sausalito to Muir is 50 minutes each way so I'd plan on getting to Sausalito NO LATER than the second shuttle. http://www.marintransit.org/routes/66.html

3. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 03:28
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

You could always rent electric bikes.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

I did call Blazing Saddles Bike Rental, and they gave me similar advice. Either opt for Mill Valley instead where the road is flatter and easier to ride, or take a bus to Muir Woods and back. That being said, any opinions on whether it's work the trek out to Muir Woods, or if Mill Valley is a relatively equivalent substitute? And of course, thank you for your feedback!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

"Worth it" is subjective but I would say so.

7. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 03:27
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,035 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

In the summer, ask your bike rental place about the system of boarding the ferries to return to SF. Last year you had to see their representative in Sausalito to get a token for a specific ferry. Unless you did it early, you had a long wait for an available ferry.

The bus to the Woods is Route 66 from Golden Gate Transit, so you can Google their schedule (which coordinates with some of the ferries to/from Sausalito).

dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

Thanks for all the tips. The 2nd shuttle is at 12:00, I believe. Bike rental places open around 8:30. Say we left Fisherman's Wharf around 9, would it be rushing it to get the 12:00 shuttle? Is three hours enough time to spend enjoying the ride and the sights?

dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I rent a bike, cross GG Bridge and go to Muir Woods?

I never heard of Mill Valley before, and it is a thought. Not as nice as Muir Woods?

Thanks