We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Coming back for a vacation in SF but bringing 2 teens so my husband and I are renting an apartment. Trying to figure out the right neighborhood. Here is what we are looking for:

Safety

Close to transportation

Fun and busy enough neighborhood

Lots of shops, cafés, restaurants

Either near a park or the water, if possible but not key

Near enough to main tourist center but doesn't need to be right in

Access to supermarket

Access hopefully to a gym

We won't have a car. We love to walk interesting neighborhoods and explore but we still want to take the kids to do the typical stuff...Alcatraz, cable cars, the Warf, etc. but want to be someone where there is a lot of street life. We are foodies and coffee freaks. Want to enjoy a fun neighborhood but safety is key.

Also, we are thinking of staying 8 nights and renting a Zip car ( I think that's what they are called) to take a drive or 2 out if the city. We will be in SF for 8 nights. Would love some feedback on best day trips...

Also, does anyone know where we could swim? A hotel pool that allows day guests?

Lastly, what is August like in SF? I've only been there in the Fall...

Thanks,

All

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Please have a look at the Top Questions (right side of screen, non mobile version of TA). There is one there titled "Vacation Rentals, Areas to Stay in SF." I think most of the recommended areas there tick most of your boxes. Take a look at those areas. And come back here when you have the exact address (or street/cross street) so we can provide unbiased feedback.

Access to a gym might be more problematic as they generally require a membership. Same with the pool. Although there is one public pool in North Beach and another on Arguello at about Balboa, near USF. There are not that many pools in SF because the weather is not usually conducive to swimming (out of doors anyway). There are a few gyms that have pools, but again, a membership would be necessary. Some hotels provide their guests with gym access but if you're staying in a vacation rental it will be more difficult to find. However, just walking around SF is good exercise! And there are some excellent running areas in town as well.

Zip cars also require membership. If you are not already a Zip member, I would recommend just renting a car for a day to get out of town (Zip cars are not that cheap on a daily basis). City Rent A Car is a local company and has good rates and reviews.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

The gym and swimming pool questions...

Is someone training for something like a triathlon or just for recreation? And for the gym - what exactly are you looking to do or any specific equipment needed?

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Thanks. Didn't know there was a master resource list. I'll check back and add the cross streets. We have the search narrowed down to a few places. I'll be back with that info soon.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Both my husband and I work out 4 or 5 times a week and do a lot of cardio. We will certainly be able to walk and run and bike which will be good. But we are hoping to use a gym for strength training, free weights , etc. and I would like to take a few yoga classes. We both actually like working out on vacation and we will be away for 9 days so hoping to find somewhere we can get a guest pass.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

For yoga and other group classes, check Groupon and Livingsocial for deals from small studios. For lap swimming, there are city pools all over town. For weight and strength training, there may be Groupon and Livingsocial deals too for smaller gyms and trainers. I know friends who did Crossfit recently that way. But there are day passes to local gym. Just depends on your rental neighborhood.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

How about Pine and Jones Street in the lower part of Nob Hill? Us this a good location?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Hi,

You don't have your location listed under your screen name so sometimes hard to give appropriate advice. Some gyms in your home town( if you are a USA resident) may have reciprocal agreements with gyms in San Francisco. I'd check on that. Even my small independent local gym has that sort of arrangement throughout the USA.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Pine and Jones is an OK neighborhood but from your original post (and another thread you posted on), I think you would prefer something out of the downtown core.

Neighborhoods I would suggest: Marina/Cow Hollow, Cole Valley or Inner Sunset, Duboce Triangle, Castro.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

Ok thanks. What about the Mission, Alamo Square and Hayes Valley? And NoPa? We are also looking at places in the following locations:

Hayes Valley: at Laguna and Page

Cole Valley: Beulah and Shrader

Marina: North Point Street and Buchanan

And the last one is on Haight between Broderick and Divisadero

Thx!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Which area to stay in? Lots if random questions.,

1. Laguna and Page

It's a stretch to call it Hayes Valley because Oak and Fell sit between Page and Hayes and both are busy one way streets. Otherwise an OK area but not near a park or water. Good restos on Hayes and not far from transit on Market.

2. Beulah and Shrader

Nice location. Very close to GG Park. Restos on Haight as well as Cole (I really like Zazie). The N-Judah runs on Carl for a pretty quick trip downtown.

3. North Point and Buchanan

Sort of what I consider to be "outer Marina" but still a nice area. Across the street from the large 24 hour Safeway grocery. Very close to Marina Green which leads onto Crissy Field. Marina shops and restos start at Chestnut and Fillmore and run along Chestnut. Food trucks at Fort Mason on Friday nights.