We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to drive or not to drive??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
to drive or not to drive??

hi, have read all top questions and hundreds of posts and know that taking MUNI is recommended way of getting around to sights. we will be going to christmas tree point/twin peaks; ferry building; coit tower; piers 39 & 45; street car ride; painted ladies; haight-ashbury; & sutro baths; among others. will have my mother with us, who is elderly & tires easily. we do have a handicapped/accessible parking placard. don't think she would hold up to all the transferring, etc. my question is will we be able to fairly easily find accessible parking near these sights during a weekday? thanks

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to drive or not to drive??

Where are you staying and when are you coming? With someone with mobility issues, driving around is reasonable. Handicapped spots can still be hard to find. But if you have 2 of you, one person can get out with her and the other person find parking.

Twin Peaks and Sutro Baths should be easy. Coit Tower - you may have to wait for a spot depending on which month you are coming. Along the waterfront... may be more difficult but you can drop her off. May be worthwhile to pay for closer parking. Haight... depends on where but this might be your most difficult area.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 18:07
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to drive or not to drive??

you got to do what you got to do. Some of the popular areas have parking shortage and you may not find disabled parking spots and may have to pay. That would be the area between Union Square, North beach , Embarcadero and Fisherman's wharf which are the popular hotel and tourist areas -- basically the North eastern part of the city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to drive or not to drive??

chinita, haight isn't so bad. you can park on the main drag and you can also find parking on streets above and below that.

Pier 39 to 45: you can park on the street or building structure for 39. if she can walk, then walk to 45. otherwise you'll have to move your car and park in the lot for pier 45. or get lucky and find street metered parking. OR there are pedicabs and you can put 2 people in them and the rest of you can walk to meet her at 45. you will have to pay dearly to pedicab it those few blocks.

the hardest area to park will be the ferry building.

Painted ladies: you can just drive past. or get out of the car and go up into the park for the postcard view.

you may want to do part of or all of 49 miles scenic drive http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/maps/

with the placard, you can park at meters and the time limit does not apply. same with permit parking: 2 hours, some areas 4 hours. however you will get ticketed if you park on streets during street cleaning times and no parking during rush hour. you'll have to check all the parking restriction signs on the block.

curb your wheels into the curb and they must touch - learned that here from a tourist who got $65 ticket for not having the wheels touch that curb.

do you mean cable car ride? if so you may have to wait 1-2 hours to get on one, depending if it's peak time/season, and then once at the other end or a stop in between, she will have to walk.

i have never heard of christmas tree point. anyone care to enlighten me?

Edited: 25 March 2014, 22:15
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to drive or not to drive??

You might consider cabbing places. At least that way you'll be able to get dropped off directly in front of where you'd like to be.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to drive or not to drive??

Between Ferry Building and all the Piers along Embarcadero, there's the F line (no transfers). I wouldn't recommend you drive this area, as parking is hard to find. If you decide to pay for garage parking, your mother will probably be dropped off while the driver goes to the garage. The F line goes all along Embarcadero with frequent stops so if she can get on and off, it should be fairly convenient.

I would definitely drive Coit Tower and find parking (even though it can be a wait) It's worth it, unless you're willing to pay for a cab. (BTW, Coit Tower is currently under renovation, so I'd check when that's going to be done.)

Twin Peaks and Sutro Baths should all be doable for parking. And Haight may require some circling around depending on time of day, but also doable.

Best of luck,

-obg

Edited: 25 March 2014, 23:57
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to drive or not to drive??

I think I would rent a car for the day on days you are going farther afield like GG Park, GG Bridge, Twin Peaks etc. Then just take a cab to places like Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf and the Embarcadero etc. Parking is more difficult in these areas.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 00:31
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to drive or not to drive??

>>there's the F line (no transfers)<<

Just to clarify, the F line does provide and accept transfers. The cable car lines do not. All Muni transit accepts the visitor passports.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to drive or not to drive??

Sorry, that wasn't clear and I think you misunderstood my meaning. When I mentioned "no transfers", I meant to go from the Ferry Building to Pier 33 for Alcatraz or Pier 39 for Fisherman's Wharf, transfers are not necessary. The F line will take you to each of those destinations.

Tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to drive or not to drive??

going in july and staying just south of gg park. thanks for the help

Tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply