We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather end of March/beginning of April

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Weather end of March/beginning of April

I am planning a family trip next year to see San Francisco and then driving north to Humboldt Redwoods and maybe Redwoods Nat'l Park as well as making other stops along the way (Ferndale, etc). So you know, our family is me, my husband and our daughters, ages 13, 15, and 19 (though the oldest likely will not be able to join us).

I have two main questions:

How is the weather at the end of March/early April? I've been checking and the weather now and assuming next year will be similar. It looks like between 30 low/ mid 60 highs, but rainy. Is it so rainy that it will "ruin" our trip? We've hiked in the rain before and it's not so bad...as long as it isn't torrential or torrential every day. Is that what I should expect? We could also travel in the summer but I'm trying to weigh the weather against the crowds. Thoughts?

I am debating renting an rv vs. a car and hotels. We own a travel trailer and are used to (and enjoy!) the camping route; however, I'm concerned about parking and the road conditions. (We would not be staying in the rv until we leave San Francisco) I don't want to find we are unable to visit different locales because of the size limitations an rv would have.

Any other suggestions most appreciated! This is my middle daughter's "one place I want to go before I leave for college" trip, so I want to do it right!

Thanks so much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

your guess is as good as ours as to what the weather could be a year in the future so for planning purposes, you can assume what you see now is what you may see a year from now.

A vehicle is not needed in SF but beyond that you can decide if you want to go in an RV or by car.

Typically the rain is not torrential but it will be cold as you go further north (cold in relative terms). In summer while rates will be higher and it will be more crowded, the crowds to the North in the Redwood National Park area imho are not as huge as those south of SF all the way to San Diego

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

March is such a shoulder season that it's impossible to predict. And even difficult to generalize on what it "usually" is. Rain in March is not typical but not unheard of. We aren't complaining right now because we need the water desperately. It's also not unusual for us to have a 3-4 day spell of unusually warm weather in March (upper 70s and maybe into the 80s).

I think most roads in northern CA can accommodation an RV but that question would be better placed on the Redwoods NP or CA forum.

3. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 03:39
4. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 03:38
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

This year is not "typical", in that we are in a drought, so it has been much drier than "normal". Whether or not next year will be "typical", a drought, or a flood... who knows? But our rain is seldom torrential, although the north coast does get more rain than the SF Bay (our weather patterns generally come down from the northwest, so rain tends to hit the northern part of California first).

I think the take-away is, no reason not to come, be prepared for anything, and bring layers, as above!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

The rain won't ruin your trip. Just bring a jacket. In fact, rain enhances the redwoods. Because of the forest duff (dried tree bits on the ground), the forest floor doesn't really get muddy except on highly used trails where the duff has been tamped down or removed. And the high canopy of the trees will shield the rain quite a bit. This makes for decent hiking, even in the rain. The benefits of hiking in the rain is that everything will be more lush and vibrant and the banana slugs, newts, and salamanders will be out.

The "normal" weather pattern from November through April is periods of storms followed by clear weather and then storms again. The storms come off the Pacific in waves, so you'll usually get a storm or two together which bring intermittent rain over the course of a few days, then clear weather. Occasionally the storms stack up out over the ocean and make land fall one after another, causing intermittent rain for a week or two. But always the rain is intermittent. April is late in the season, so there may not be any rain in April next year, but you never know. Sometimes April can be quite wet.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

Hi again, hersheyfolks :-)

I've had family in the Eureka area for many years, so am pretty familiar with the weather. Compared to where I live on the Oregon coast, Eureka is practically a desert, LOL! Seriously, they get about 45" per year, which isn't much. As you go farther north, it rains more - Crescent City gets about 70".

By April, most of the serious rain has ended, although you very well may get showers or day-long drizzle. It's not as fun RVing in the rain even when it's not cold. You can't sit outside and enjoy morning coffee or a glass of wine in the evenings!

This part of California has a small fraction of the summer crowds in other areas of California. It's too far away from a massive metropolitan area :-) That said, there of course will be more people around in summer and you will need to book rustic campgrounds ahead if you decide to stay in State Parks. (No hookups)

As far as where you cannot travel:

You cannot drive Howland Hill Road near Crescent City.

You cannot take Davison Road to Gold Bluffs Beach / Fern Canyon.

Cal Barrel Road is off limits if it is open. It's not always open.

Some parts of the old Coast Road are not suitable for motorhomes.

Those are the only roads I can think of offhand that you cannot drive in a motorhome. There are car rental places in Eureka, Arcata and McKinleyville so you could possibly rent a car for one day.

As far as motels, there is a huge range of types and prices, in a variety of locations. Anywhere you stay you'll be doing back & forth driving since Redwood NP is a long narrow string.

8. Re: Weather end of March/beginning of April

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16