We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lands End walking trails

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lands End walking trails

I've been to San Francisco several times, but for some reason I've never been to Lands End! It looks like I can take the 38 Geary bus to 48th Ave. and Point Lobos. (Is there a difference between the 38 and 38L?). I thought I'd start at the Visitor's Center which looks pretty close to where I would get off the bus.

I can walk well, but due to hip/knee replacements (!!!) I need to be careful on steep and/or unpaved walking trails. I also need to sit down once in a while-I can probably walk 1-2 miles and then I'd like to take a break!

Would going there be doable for me? It looks like a beautiful place and I would love to see it! Thanks a lot!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lands End walking trails

the 38L is limited with fewer stops and faster but both are fine to get you there.... it is a long way by bus in any case

the visitor center is nice and and yes the trail for sometime is relatively flat (starts with a slope but then flattens out) you will see where it becomes narrow and gets into a steep climb and you may want to turn around then.

yes it is a lovely place to hike and walk and there are places to sit enroute . For MN folks the weather may be downright balmy but for us folks, it is cool to cold especially early am and late afternoon so do wear layers

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lands End walking trails

Thanks Belomiser! I'm going to try it-you're right the weather will be balmy for me after this long Minnesota winter! (I'll still take a jacket!)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lands End walking trails

There are sections of hills on the trail. Some of those have been stepped. I don't recall benches but if you go all the way to El Camino del Mar trailhead there are a lot of benches along that street.

Be sure when you board the 38 or 38L that it is going all the way to 48th Ave and Point Lobos. Many of them don't that far.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lands End walking trails

If you can walk one mile before needing a rest then you'll be fine. Benches and sitting areas are not ubiquitous on the trail, but there are enough that you'll be sure to find one when you're ready for a break.

Most of the trail is well-maintained, but a good portion of it is unpaved, depending on how far you go. Not sure when you are getting into town, but this week/weekend is forecast to be rainy, so watch your footing and wear good shoes in case it's slippery.

As you've been told, the 38L is faster than the 38 (doesn't make as many stops). If you're downtown and the digital screen tells you that the 38L is 5-7 minutes behind the 38, I'd wait for it!

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lands End walking trails

Thanks so much everyone! (I'll remember that about the 38L!)

6. Re: Lands End walking trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16