We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir woods - crowdfactor

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orebro, Sweden
12 posts
Save Topic
Muir woods - crowdfactor

Hi!

Was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how crowded Muir Woods can be on weekends.

The weather next weekend looks ok and we're concidering a visit.

Is it a possible traffic jam or what are we talking?

We won't be able to arrive any earlier than round 10 in the morning.

Thanks!

Orebro, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

Oops, forgot... 10 o'clock SATURDAY.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

Parking will be your issue at that time. The lot may already be full at 10 am, so you'll have to wait until someone leaves so you can park your car. The area isn't big enough that you will have traffic jams, per se, but you may have to wait a bit in your car.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

The lot will most definitely be full by 10AM. I last went on a Sunday in January. We arrived 9AM and were already in the second lot. (The lots are not large and the first one is mostly reserved for large tour buses). You will find yourself parking along the side of the road perhaps a mile from the entrance. Unfortunately 10AM is just about the time the big bus tours start arriving and the hordes of people do tend to ruin the quiet cathedral like atmosphere.

At least in April you SHOULD be allowed to drive up. By summer at that time the road is closed and you must park in the lot at the freeway and take the shuttle up.

If you can't get up there any earlier you might consider waiting until 3-4PM if that works for your schedule.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

I am glad I read this...sounds horrible. Hate crowds, especially at nature attractions

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

Can you get there by 8-00am.

It's the best time in the park as well as beating the hordes.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

I went this past Wednesday, arrived just after 9 am, and got the second-to-last parking spot in the main lot. The people that were there were sort of spread out, so very peaceful. By the time we were done, starting around 10:30 am, you could tell that the bus tours had arrived, as you started having clumps of people walking up the main paths, stopping for photos, calling to each other, etc.

So, yes, unfortunately Saturday, even in the off season, will be worse.

If you do have to go at that time, I'd try taking the Hillside Trail at the first opportunity... it puts you slightly above the main trails on the valley floor, and far fewer of the tour bus people use it. (Although it is narrower, so fewer people may be needed for it to feel crowded...) Then when you come back toward the entrance, the bus people should have left by then.

Orebro, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

Thanks a lot! Very helpful...

Have to consider if it's worth going...like someone stated earlier; crowds can really ruin the experience.

Unfortunately, saturday is the one day we can go there.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

If you want to see redwoods, there are plenty of other parks. What else are you planning that day and is this part of a larger trip? Let us know what your plans are and we can see what other parks would make sense to visit.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

Or do it later in the day, as suggested upthread... the crowds do clear out in the late afternoon.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Muir woods - crowdfactor

I had always wanted to see Muir woods, and finally made it there last week. I won't say that I was disappointed, but I was just as content to discover the redwood grove in Golden Gate Park. It was quieter, more relaxing and beautiful. No, not quite like Muir, but I certainly enjoyed it. Glad I saw Muir, but I probably won't make it back there.