We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Cowes, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Hello,

I am spending eight days in San Francisco in May with my husband and baby daughter. My husband will be working some days in the week so I will be doing sightseeing solo with my little girl. We have rented a house in Noe Valley near 24th street and I would love some advice on the easiest way to get to a few places from NV, on my own, with my baby.

I have been doing a lot of reading on here and plan to bring our carrier but some days I will need to use our stroller (I am thinking of getting a v light umbrella one for the trip) and I want to make public transport usage as easy as possible.

I would like to go to the Ferry Building for the market in the week and the Golden Gate Park to go to the Academy of Sciences.

I also want to ride on the historic cable car(s) and/or trolley (still getting my head round all the different transport in SF) - what's the nearest point I could do this from Noe Valley?

Lastly I am also considering doing a hop on hop off bus tour and/or some walking tours in the Castro/Haight - has anyone done these with a baby in a carrier or stroller? Do you think it would be straightforward?

Thanks in advance for any help.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

You are not required to remove the child from the stroller on the bus. On the other hand, strollers are not allowed on cable cars (they are historic cars and the spaces are quite tight).

Your primary form of transit to get from Noe Valley to other parts of the city will first be the J-Church which runs along Church St. At Market it goes underground for a short trip to downtown and the Ferry Building. Use Powell St. station for the Powell Street cable cars although there is often a long line to board cable cars at Powell. Otherwise you can catch the California Street cable car from Embarcadero Station at the foot of California Street. There's never a line for the California Street line.

To get to GG Park take the J-Church to Church & Duboce and transfer to the N-Judah around the corner on Duboce at Church.

The F-Market & Wharves terminates at Market and Castro. You can take the J-Church to Church and Market and catch the F on Market. Getting on at Church the car probably won't be very crowded but it will get so. Probably best to have the child on your lap and fold up the stroller.

I find Google Maps helpful with public transit. Also www.nextmuni.com gives exact stop locations and real time arrival estimates.

There shouldn't be any issue with having a child in a stroller on a walking tour. All the corners have curb cuts which makes having wheels a bit easier. And I would think HOHOs would allow strollers but their websites should provide that information. Having an umbrella stroller is a good idea. Dragging a large stroller on a bus wouldn't be an easy task.

You will definitely want to get a Muni Passport to facilitate your transit use. You can also use the rear doors for boarding when you aren't paying cash.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

I would save the large stroller for walking. While it's true MUNI has made accomadations for strollers on buses and streetcars, it is still a PITA if you travel during peak times and it's crowded. The best combo is a carrier and umbrella stroller. Wear the baby until you or her get tired and then put her in the stroller while out and about.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Not sure what you mean by a HOHO tour of just the castro or Haight . You may want to look for a walking tour but a HOHO tour won't be much use just to do these neighborhoods. With a walking tour the haight is relatively flat (Haight street itself) and parts of the Castro where most of the shops and restaurants are is also flat so a stroller is fine. If you want to explore the Castro outside the main market and church and Castro street then you will have to push the stroller up/down hill

Have a look at the Top Question on the right about MUNI . It has photos and info on the buses, street cars and cable cars -- there is no MUNI called Trolley per say in SF but the historic F wharves streetcar is called in trolley in other parts of the world.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 20:31
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Traveling via cable car is far easier first thing in the morning. If they're not crowded, the brakeman will generally allow a collapsible or umbrella stroller to be stored on the back platform, but you will have to sit inside with the baby. Later in the day, you might have to wait in the line at Market and Powell to board to ensure space on the platform for the stroller. And during peak times, that can be an hour wait or longer (in August, it can be 2 hours!).

Cowes, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Thanks very much this is really helpful. I will look up the Muni Passport and look at the Muni thread. We can travel outside rush hour which I hope will make things easier.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

A quick tip about transit and Noe Valley - the main drag of 24th Street has the J-Church at one end - but if you are closer to the other end at Castro, you can simply take the 24 Bus Over the hill. I'd actually suggest this when catching the F-line, so you can get it at the beginning. (Also good for getting to the Haight).

Alternatively, you can also use the subway - which is loads faster - and very convenient when used either in off-commute hours or in the opposite direction of the morning/afternoon commute.

Cowes, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

Thank you! I have made a note of this - all useful advice.

8. Re: Transport advice in SF- travelling with 8.5 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 07:15