We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Please give advice on Mission, Castro, Haight or reverse route for day walking itinerary (Starting on Market and 3rd). What streets should we follow for shopping, foodie stuff, etc. Anything else during that day, and should we reverse the route? Can we fit in Painted Ladies and then walk back to Union Square?

sf
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

First of all you're quiet far in SF terms from any of these areas if you considering starting from Market & 3rd on a walking tour. Are you trying to walk from one area to the next, and visit all 3 in 1 day? The reason is while Castro & Mission districts are fairly close to each other and flat, you'll have quite an uphill trek to the Haight. The topology of SF is a lot of hills. I'd suggest trying to limit yourself to 1 or 2 areas like Mission & Castro. And I wouldn't suggest walking from the ladies back to Union Sq.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

I would start by taking BART to 16th and Mission. Walk Mission to 24th St and then Valencia back to 16th (or 18th). Then over to Castro. From there you could 1) catch the 24-Divisadero to Haight or 2) Walk to Duboce and Church and get the N-Judah to Cole and Carl (just a couple of stops but through the tunnel) check out Cole Valley then down to Haight.

At that point you can decide if you want to make the trek to the Painted Ladies or not as you will have seen a lot of Victorian architecture already. It's about 10-11 blocks from Haight and Masonic to Alamo Square. But it's two bus rides of about 5 blocks each. So if a bus is coming along fine, but you could possibly wait as long as it would take to walk.

After the Painted Ladies -- I don't consider it walking distance to Union Square. Catch the 21-Hayes on Hayes to Market & 5th (and Powell is across Market from 5th).

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Just piggy backing on this if that's ok.....

What do you think of walking from castro to 16th & mission down mission to 24th then walking down 24th past balmy alley and galleria de la raza then back to Valencia then walk back up to Valencia & 16th then looping back along 16th to the Castro (or just Bart to downtown/bay area). (Ps Bart isn't included in muni pass is it?).

We thought we might do a guided walking tour of Castro then head into Mission by ourselves and follow that route if it was tourist-friendly.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Or do it via dolores park maybe?

So 18th from castro to dolores park then out of dolores park at 20th & Valencia down Valencia to 24th then explore 24th back up Mission to 16th then across to the Mission church and the Muni at 16th & Church.

So do I sound like a local yet? ;-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Either of those is fine. I would probably suggest going via Dolores Park because it's a great place to hang and people watch. Also taking in the Mission is a good idea.

BART is not included in the Muni Pass but if you're starting in Cole Valley then you wouldn't be using BART from there. Take the N and get off at Church and walk across Market into the Castro.

BTW: You did some good searching to find this thread!

Edited: 21 February 2015, 15:54
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

Dolores Park is a bit of a mess right now - due to ongoing revitalization - but still worth checking out. The view from the top is almost as iconic as the Painted Ladies.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

>BTW: You did some good searching to find this thread!<

Cheers! I am a tad obsessive research-wise;-)

Will Google the works at dolores...are they long term or do you think by June it will sorted.

We just finished season and are now watching season 2 of "Looking" at the moment and Dolores Park looks great in it. It's going to be so amazing to see all these places I've read about or seen in gay literature or movies etc.

Can't wait.

8. Re: Mission, Castro, and Haight or reverse for walking itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2016, 06:18