We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

NewYork
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

Hello everyone,

My family and I will be in San Francisco just June 29th - July 1st. We had a hard time locating a hotel to accommodate a family of 5. Finally, we found two but in different areas so I would be grateful for your input on which you believe is better based on our plans.

Our options:

Beresford Arms - Suite w/sep. bedroom 2 queens, sofa bed, kitchenette

Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf - 2 doubles and a rollaway

(If you have any other ideas, we would like to be under $300/night)

We will be doing an Alcatraz tour, Fisherman's Wharf, Muir Woods (renting a car for just the day to do this a partial day), Ferry Building Marketplace, walk around Chinatown, and just general sight seeing, cable cars, etc.

I am not in love with either of the hotel choices, to be honest, but I'd opt for more space near Union Square, while hubby would rather have the Fisherman's Wharf location. I guess it would be more convenient for the Alcatraz tour, but since that is only one activity, what do you think would be best?

Other than renting a car for Muir park, we will be walking/using public transportation.

What do you guys think? Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Beresford Arms
Beresford Arms
1,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Ferry Building Marketplace
Ferry Building...
6,080 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

How old are the kids?

Are you arriving at SFO? How do you plan to get into SF from the airport? (Public transit is easier to Union Square which is why I ask.)

Does your trip continue after SF? By car or ... ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

>>If you have any other ideas, we would like to be under $300/night<<

There are several lodging ideas for a family of 5 that are linked to the Top Questions on the right. A price range is included, but it's not guaranteed to be accurate.

Here is a direct link to the article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c187982

Definitely read the other Top Questions that are relevant to your trip ~ Alcatraz, activities for children, where to stay, public transit, etc.

Happy Planning!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,334 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

for a family a suite imho works better. Have you looked at the list of TOP QUESTIONS -- there is one which has names of hotels which have rooms for 5. The lombard street motels is one option. Also look at Marines Memorial near Union Sq

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

With the two options, agree with the suite for space and convenience factor. Do look at those other options if you haven't already. Why does the hubs want to be in a cramped space in FW?

NewYork
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

Wow, thank you all for your quick responses! Some other info:

Arriving into SFO, planned on taking the BART. We leave out of SFO again, taking a quick flight to San Diego to continue our trip.

Kids are 11 yo twins and 17. (so, big kids!)

I have gone over that article with the suggested hotels several times and that is how we found one of them, but many of them say there is nothing available for our dates. Comfort Inn was the only other option showing availability. There are a few that I didn't check, so I will look again.

Chinita ... lol ... who knows. I think it's just something about him thinking about FW, but it isn't like the hotel is on the water or anything!

THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,984 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

I agree that I would prefer the separate bedroom offered at Beresford Arms. Especially when traveling with children, who are either young enough to go to bed early, or old enough to want their own space.

It is not difficult to get to Fisherman's Wharf and the Alcatraz Pier, and the Ferry Marketplace from Union Square. San Francisco is very compact for a large city, and public transportation is excellent. If you have MUNI passes you can ride even the cable cards free (usually $6 per ride). Chinatown and North Beach are within walking distance, as are a wide choice of many good restaurants (not true at Fisherman's Wharf).

Fisherman's Wharf is okay to visit, but I wouldn't "live" there. On one visit we were forced to because of a hotel crunch in the city caused by a large convention. Never again. Noise and cheap trinket shops and buskers....ugh.

Mentioned in this post
Beresford Arms
Beresford Arms
1,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

For transport to and fro SFO, it migt be easier and not that much more to get a private van for your group, I think it is $75. Lorrie's usually is recommended here. Beresford Arms is not exactly that close to a BART station especially if you have luggage. In that case, you would news 2 cabs to the hotel.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:47
Mentioned in this post
Beresford Arms
Beresford Arms
1,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

With such a quick trip the Union Square area will be much more convenient to/from SFO than anywhere else in town. Certainly more so than both Fisherman's Wharf and Lombard St.

I disagree with reserving a van. They are $75-90 (depending on company) while BART will be less than $45 (if you really want to save money you can arrange to buy a youth ticket for the 11 yos that will save money but they're not available in the fare machines -- $9 gets you $24 in fare -- that would be more than a roundtrip http://www.bart.gov/tickets ).

It's a 6-7 block walk from Powell Street BART to Beresford Arms but it's flat and the kids are old enough to handle their luggage (and yours too!). I think kids especially get a kick out of public transit if it's not something they do a lot. (When my niece was 12 she visited me and evidently the entire way home (4 hours) she talked about being on the bus and in a cab. Sometimes we don't think about those things.)

Mentioned in this post
Beresford Arms
Beresford Arms
1,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
9. Re: Very short stay with family - which location to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 07:15