We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods: Best Time of Day/Week to Visit

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Muir Woods: Best Time of Day/Week to Visit

Can anyone recommend an optimal time to visit Muir Woods (i.e. when the crowds aren't as bad)? I know many mentioned that weekends can be quite crowded, although it may clear out in the late afternoon.

I have narrowed my options to either rent a car for the day and go in the early morning (8am), or preferably, to combine Muir Woods with our GGB/Sausalito bike trip and visit in the late afternoon.

With option 1, we could fit Muir Woods anywhere in our itinerary, but with option 2, we obviously would have to go on a weekend since we would be utilizing the shuttle which only runs on weekends. I have allotted 2-3 hours for the Muir Woods park alone.... opinions on whether this is sufficient time? Also, I would prefer not to do a guided tour. Thanks in advance guys!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Food Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,637 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods: Best Time of Day/Week to Visit

8am is best -- it is a surreal place early in the morning. After 9.30 the buses and cars fill spots -- this is more the case on Weekends and during Summer than on a weekday. Well 1 to 2 hours is fine

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods: Best Time of Day/Week to Visit

Weekday is always better. I think early AM is better than PM but never at mid-day.

Winter better than summer too but you probably have less control of that.

3. Re: Muir Woods: Best Time of Day/Week to Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16