We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Hotels

Dunfermline...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Hotels

Hi Guys,

I am looking to book a hotel in San Francisco next month for my visit in Sept2014. I am probably looking to spend up to £100/night and not too much more but i wouldnt discount it if we liked it - and it's out first stop. We'll be staying in San Francisco on 2nd - 5/6th September.

Thanks in advance,

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Recommended Hotels

They have a budget of about $166/night incl tax. Probably a bit past hosteling now.

Come back, Jordan. Have you a few names of hotels yet?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommended Hotels

<<They have a budget of about $166/night incl tax. Probably a bit past hosteling now. <<

Maybe not. The HI hostels in a private room are about $90-$120 plus tax. $166 including tax is not going to give them a hotel I would stay in, in San Francisco. The advantages of the hostels for two 22-year-old blokes is not only price, but camaderie with others of their age and location and, "cleanliness", and public space.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 12:08
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recommended Hotels

I'm going to point out that $166/night will probably get you into many of the budget hotels mentioned in the Top Questions (many of which I have stayed at and would probably stay at any of them). Adjusting for the total tax on hotel rooms in SF (~15%), you're looking at a pre-tax room rate of ~$150/night.

If demand is high (which is often is in September), this might not get you in all of them, but i think you could probably get some of them at this figure (especially if you're willing to give it a slight bump). Also, to the extent you can avoid major conventions (see the list linked via one of the Top Questions), including a couple of days before/after, you'll avoid the worst of the rate spikes and increase your chances that the budget hotels will be $150 (or lower?). I will note that while demand spikes do increase the rates on these hotels, the spikes tend to be *much* less than those on hotels higher on the "star scale." (Higher end hotels routinely double their rates and may even triple them, the lower end hotels tend to max their rates closer to double their lowest rates.)

Lastly, another cluster to consider with this budget are those along Lombard Street. These rates tend to be lower in general than the downtown hotels and (again) the rate spikes don't hit them as hard. This is mainly because they aren't as centrally located, but they're not too bad from a transit/walking/getting around aspect.

That's my $.02,

hlo

14. Re: Recommended Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 07:15