We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

Two mid-twenties exploring SF for a long weekend. Haven't been to SF since I was a young girl. I’m taking public transportation everywhere so please let me know if all this is doable. I’ll just be using apps on my phone, maps, and asking if I need help. Also I’m down for switches/rearranging in the itinerary! any suggestions would help!!

Thursday

-Arrive in SFO around 2:30pm

-Take BART to Union Square

-Check in hotel (if not ready, will leave bags)

-Walk around Union Square (I don’t think I need to stay here too long since I don’t need to shop. Anything I shouldn’t miss in Union Square?)

-Explore Chinatown

-Then explore the ferry building/embarcadero area

-Attend the Exploratorium After Dark (a night 21+ event)

-back to the hotel and crash

Friday

-Hopefully wake up early, get breakfast

-head to fisherman’s wharf, attend an alcatraz tour late morning or early afternoon preferably

-have late lunch (I want In N’ Out since theres none in WA state)

-Explore ghiradelli square

-check out lombard st.

-Go up to the Coit tower

-eat dinner in the north beach area

-head back to the hotel and relax

Saturday

-Eat breakfast/brunch around hotel

-Go towards the golden gate bridge area-- check out the palace of fine arts, and find a viewing spot for the bridge

-Go south to GG park and explore (how long should I stay there?)

-Then eventually check out Alamo Square for the Painted Ladies

-Grab some food anywhere there or anywhere heading towards back to union square

-Head back & relax in the hotel, and perhaps go out for drinks later that night somewhere we’re not tired.

Sunday

-eat breakfast near the hotel

-Checkout and leave SF :(

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,504 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

Sorry was there a question in there ? The plan looks ok. How long one should stay in GG Park was the only question I saw -- I guess it depends on what you want to do there. walk around ? Segway tours ? Bike tours ? visit the arboretum or the deYoung museum ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

WHEN is this trip?

You cannot walk up and buy Alcatraz tickets on a same day basis on any day of the year. In summer you'll need to purchase a number of weeks in advance. www.alcatrazcruises.com for the direct seller. There is a Top Question with a lot more info on Alcatraz.

This itinerary is pretty tame and very touristic. If you're at all adventuresome I'd suggest heading out to the Mission (Valencia St specifically) for drinks/dinner one night. BART is the most convenient way -- use either the 16th St. or 24th St stations and get a cab back if it's late at night.

City Guides Walking tours might help you too: www.sfcityguides.org -- all sorts of free walking tours. Even it it's just Chinatown it's a lot more interesting than just wandering around looking at buildings. And they're free! ($5 for 2 when they pass their envelope would be nice, it goes to pay their expenses not to the Guides.)

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

Considering you only have 2.5 days, I think you have it pretty well planned and certainly well packed. I like your plan to see the Academy in the evening. You are heading to the park two days in a row. Would you want to visit the park on Thursday afternoon? Not much time, I know. If you did that, you could wander around Chinatown the following evening. If you keep your itinerary as is, consider taking the California cable car from Chinatown to Embarcadero. It's less crowded than the other two lines and nice ride. Have fun!

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

I don't mind touristy things. At night I am definitely looking into going out, at least either Friday or Saturday night.

Sorry I should've clarified that I was posting so I can get people's opinions. Esp. since I'll be depending on public transportation, walking and cabs (basically..no car)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

>>-Explore Chinatown

-Then explore the ferry building/embarcadero area<<

If you arrive at your hotel around 3:30 pm, I don't think you'll have time to do both Chinatown AND the Ferry Building before heading to Nightlife.

I might do Chinatown on Thursday because it's close, then Saturday morning instead of having breakfast near the hotel, head to the Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building.

Painted Ladies/Alamo Square is a residential neighborhood, but Hayes Valley isn't too far on the #21 Hayes bus, and there are lots of trendy restaurants there.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

hi: poster SFSusanW gave you great suggestions....i concur! For pretty good nightlife, head over to the Valencia Street Corridor (Valencia Street between 17th - 24th). Lots of young adults, great ethnic eateries and fusion restaurants, cool bar scene, boutique shops, great bookstores, cafes and everyone walking the streets. Take a cab if late.

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

Would you say its doable to go check out GG bridge, then GG park, then see Alamo square and then go around the mission district/Valencia street all by public transportation?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,504 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

doable ? Humm -- you can spend 1-2 hours at GG Bridge , a few hours to a whole day at GG park and Alamo square -- well 5 to 10 minutes perhaps a bit more there and then the mission is more for food and drink and shopping . So it all depends on what you want to do and see.

so you can decide how you want to spend your day. MUNI goes all over SF. Have you got google maps on your smartphone. you can check routes using that to get from A to B.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 19:29
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

hi again: my first response is 'no'. Personally, I would not try that itinerary on public transportation. It really depends upon what you mean by "check out" the Golden Gate Bridge ... do you mean just look from the toll booths or walk half way or walk all the way and go to Vista Point and walk back?

Golden Gate Park takes time, you are on foot ... again, what do you wish to do....i feel your time would be better served exploring these two significant San Francisco destinations and forget about Alamo Square to see 3 homes (better on postcards) .... then for the evening head over to Valencia Street (17th-24th). my 2 cents.

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thurs-Sun Itinerary Help! (2.5 days)

thanks for the suggestions. I don't much about the park, but I saw on the map that is it huge! since I will most likely do the Exploratorium Thursday night for the night-time adult event, I didn't want to spend time doing more museums on the day I go to GGP. Is the park even then worth visiting if I don't do any museums?

also I might change my trip to the park to Friday so that on Saturday I can go check out the farmers market at the ferry building, then go along the water to fishermans wharf and alcatraz