We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips - how far in advance to book....

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
day trips - how far in advance to book....

Hi everyone

I'll be visiting SF for 3 days this summer. So EXCITED!!! We'll be staying at the Orchard Garden Hotel :) My husband really wants to go on the 49ers Candlestick Park tour and as we are waiting to get an available date on this we can't book any other trips.

Ideally we want to do a day trip that includes a visit to the Alcatraz, Golde nGate Bridge and a visit to the wine country. We've seen a few but I'm wondering how far in advance these book up. We will be going high season (August)

Thanks in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

Well Alcatraz books up pretty fast and tickets are available 90 days in advance so if you are interested book 90 days in advance and perhaps book a night visit as that won't clash with the stick tour

Not sure I get the day trip -- Alcatraz and GG Bridge are in Sf while Wine country is outside SF and is an hour to two depending on where you are going and yes you can drive over the bridge to get to wine country but that is a full day's trip if you take a tour or even drive yourself. Summer tours may get booked so do keep an eye on wine country tours -- some are listed in the top question. I would not wait last minute

You have 3 days and you are planning to go to wine country for one. That is just 2 days for SF . Humm it takes 3-4 days to get a flavor of SF but I guess you want to do a lot more -- so be it.

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

thank you so much for your quick response. I haven't got my heart set on the wine country, it was just an idea as we saw a day tour that included this. We will be travelling with a 7 year old so need to get planning a trip that suits us all. I'm just starting the process and will be looking over some posts here already. Its good to know I can ask questions and get advice from SF experts and residents :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

I think a 7 year old would not find a day trip to wine country interesting. Do check the excellent top question on what to do and see with kids on the right side of this forum page

You may want to check out Levi's stadium if you are planning on driving south after SF. That is the new home of the 49ers. I am so over Candlestick -- too many cold freezing games both football and baseball and the stadium was so old. food was so so -- good bye and good riddance

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

" I am so over Candlestick -- too many cold freezing games..."

I've already bought a new tank top to wear to games at Levi Stadium - I am so going to work on my tan during the early season games :-)

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,725 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

hi: i agree that a trip to the 'wine country' would not be fun for your 7 yr old...i have a suggestion that may be fun for all! How about renting bicycles near Fisherman's Wharf and having a fabulous ride over to Crissy Field and perhaps a little bit of Golden Gate Bridge....also, Crissy Field sports cafes, sandy beaches and wonderful resting areas with expansive views of the bay and surrounding hills.

www.blazingsaddles.com/‎

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

And we recommend buying your Alcatraz tickets yourself, online, far, far in advance at www.alcatrazcruises.com. That is the only official website, and by booking there you'll have the lowest price, best availability and control of your departure time. But really, in the summer, tickets go on sale 90 days in advance and sell out shortly thereafter, especially for the night tours. Tour companies can't transport you to Alcatraz or guide you once you're there, so there's very little advantage to booking through some type of tour.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

I don't know if you're interested in baseball, but there is also an AT&T Park tour in SF.

…mlb.com/sf/…public_tours

8. Re: day trips - how far in advance to book....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:17