We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to look for vacation rentals?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Where to look for vacation rentals?

Hello! We are a family of four with two teenage daughters and plan to spend a week to ten days in SF some time in July or early August. We prefer renting instead of staying in hotels as we prefer to have the ability to cook being vegetarians. From past experience it seems vacation rentals go from Sat to Sat and we can then spend 2-3 days at Yosemite.

What would be good areas to look at for rentals? They can be either in the heart of the city which does not require renting a car or they can be in the outskirts-- close enough to commute daily.

Which brings the question-- is it a good idea to rent a car or is it better to depend on public transportation?

Our trips outside would be to Palo Alto, maybe Berkeley, San Jose, a drive up and down Hwy 1 (or the scenic road to LA).

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Palo Alto
Palo Alto
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Jose
San Jose
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

Kindly READ the top Questions. We keep them updated with plenty of info -- more than what can be posted as a reply. Help us help you.

Why not have a car in SF? Advise on CAR RENTALS for visitors (updated Nov. 2013)

Vacation Rentals - Neighborhoods to stay in SF (updated Feb 2013)

Err within 10 days you want to do SF, Yosemite, The highway 1 drive and LA ? Really and still want a vacation rental in SF ? That is ok to get one in SF but not sure about the Sat to Sat question - how can you stay in SF for a week and do all this? Enquiring minds want to know ?

Edited: 19 April 2014, 23:39
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

Thanks for your response! I am reading and trying to sift through a lot of information but with ticket prices going up and rentals filling up, I am worried that I am already too late in the game. I do NOT want to go to LA. We plan to drive a couple of hours (2-3-4) down the road and enjoy the scenic beauty and turn back. I was thinking a week in SF in a rental and then 2-3 days in Yosemite in hotel might work.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

HI,

Do you have your Yosemite res??? That is the spot that books up 1 year in advance especially for summer travel! San Francisco is an easy city(as is most of California) for vegetarians!! Even if you don't want to cook all your meals!!

I have a feeling that to enjoy the scenic aspects of the area you may want to rethink and spend 3 days or so in the city and then some time driving down the coastal section to Monterey and through Big Sur to Cambria and then cutting over to Yosemite(if you get your res there)

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,498 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

With your timeframe, I would suggest SF and either Central Coast OR Yosemite but not both. If you're shut out of Yosemite Valley lodgings (good chance), look at Yosemite West rental. Hop to the Yosemite subforum to read about lodgings ASAP.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 00:09
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

Commuting back and forth to the city for sightseeing is not a good idea.

Unless your kids are interested in visiting UC or Stanford, I wouldn't bother with Palo Alto or Berkeley (and Berkeley is an easy BART ride). Neither do I see much touristic value in San Jose.

As Chinita says, it's going to be very difficult to obtain Yosemite reservations for this summer. Visiting on a weekday might be a bit easier but it's high season and Yosemite gets very popular.

Do read through our TQs on neighborhoods in the city to stay and ALWAYS come back here with the exact location for feedback on ones that look good. Neighborhoods change quickly and owners often nudge their property into an adjacent (and fancier) area.

Mentioned in this post
Stanford
Stanford
California
Palo Alto
Palo Alto
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Jose
San Jose
California
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

And you'll want to take into account that the scenic road to LA doesn't really begin to get scenic until 3 hours south of San Francisco (in the Monterey/Carmel area), then the most scenic part is the next hour or two south. So this is a very loooooong day trip from the city, and much better done in a relaxed fashion as part of a multi-day road trip.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
7. Re: Where to look for vacation rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 06:16