We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diners?

Northampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Diners?

I am coming to SF from UK in 2 weeks for 3 nights before heading to Vegas. We are staying at Seraton Fisherman's wharf. I know there are loads of restaurant's nearby but would like recommendations for a nice diner for breakfasts.

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diners?

Pat's Café on Taylor near Columbus. Buena Vista on Beach at Hyde. Hollywood Café (it's the most touristy).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diners?

It's a very easy stroll to the historic and scenic Eagle Cafe on Pier 39.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,829 posts
1,913 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diners?

Lori's Diner is one we went for breakfast several times.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diners?

I do not suggest Lori's Diner. Chain food at its worst.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diners?

I don't know what "nice" means in this sense, but for authentic SF there is always Red's Jave House.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d35…

Northampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diners?

Thanks. Authentic sounds good. 👍

What about bars in the evening. Got a lot to try and fit in in three nights!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diners?

If you are thinking "pub crawl" you need to think in terms of neighborhoods...North Beach is excellent, also Cow Hollow, Clement, etc., etc. That will maximize your SF drinking experience and give you the most variety in a small locale.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diners?

While there's nothing wrong with Red's is over 2 miles from there to the OPs hotel.

For bars, the Pub at Ghirardelli is fine. On Beach Street, entrance on the Beach street level of the Square.

Otherwise, go up Columbus to North Beach. It's about a mile but the 30-Stockton runs along Columbus. The Wharf is a very touristy part of town and food/drink options will be more expensive and less local. While there are a lot of dining options at the Wharf they are very touristy and, for the most part, survive on the tourist trade.

Another option for bars is to take the 30-Stockton in the other direction (get a bus with a destination sign of either "Broderick" or "Jefferson Loop") to the Marina. Chestnut from Fillmore to Divis has lots of restaurants and bars. Any of them better than what you'll find at the Wharf.

sf
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diners?

Tip be advised that Red's is not near the Wharf, but down on the Bay near AT&T Park, a good walk. I'd also suggest the Eagle.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diners?

Bars in SF (like everywhere) can vary widely, can you give us some idea about what you're looking for or want to avoid?

Do you like/dislike: ethic, beer/wine/cocktails, dive/high-end, sports, music, "locals," darts/pool, older/younger crowd, "theme," and/or ???? And for many of these a what kind?

There are hundreds of bars that you can get to in a short walk or MUNI/cab ride. If you give us some more info, we can tailor our suggestion to the ones you're more likely to enjoy.

Looking forward to making specific suggestions,

hlo