We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Planning on taking BART from SFO to Powell and then walking to Hotel Chancellor. When riding BART is the train layout so that my medium size luggage and carryon stay right beside me? Is BART safe to ride regarding type of people riding the BART? Are BART stations relatively safe? Also, as a male, is the best place to keep my wallet in my front pocket of my jeans? (Concerned about Pick pockets) Just trying to stay safe!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Excuse me. What type of people do you think ride BART. ?

Where do I keep my wallet ? In my back pocket ?

What happens if the bags are a bit away ? You think someone will take them ?

Are you sure you want to take BART ? Perhaps you can take a cab if you are ok with going with cab drivers

Amazing in this day and age - we get such questions

As far as the only question I will answer. Yes you can keep your bag next to you

Edited: 27 April 2014, 05:03
Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

These questions are coming from one who lives where mass transit is almost non existent. Just trying to be safe. Thanks for your help.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 05:04
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

There are parts of your question that have NOTHING to do with someone who has not been on transit. Sure one can be apprehensive and I respect that but just read the first part of your question and see how it may be construed

4. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 02:38
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

There is another post from a month or so ago from this user account about this same trip. That post mentions traveling with their college age son. Are you the original poster or the son?

I'm a middle age woman and have no issue with BART from the airport. If you have a wheelie bag then keep it with you. There is no specific area for luggage storage on BART.

As far as where to keep your wallet, well, is this your first time in a big city? Because SF is no less safe than any other. If you would feel better having it in your front pocket then by all means do so. But this isn't Rome.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,568 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

You wouldn't notice if some pickpocket picks your pocket, least of all be able to say something to him/her.

To OP, buy a travel wallet that hooks onto your belt and flips inside your pant legs. That way they'll have to be very intimate with you to pick your pocket.

I ride BART, so I am the kind of people who ride public transit. Trust me you are totally safe riding with me.

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
315 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Referring to post by white dahlia, i have been on the subway in Rome also... Incidents do indeed take place very frequently there, but I guess such one has to take safety precautions in any city... And one has to apply his own mind in doing so...

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Penrichard, San Francisco is relatively safe. There’s nothing about BART that’s particularly dangerous. Unless you are riding in the midst of rush hour, there should be room for you and your suitcase beside you in one of the seats.

General caution is always smart. I am often alone. I keep my wallet in a front pocket. I carry a bit of a wad of small bills separately, pulling them out to make purchases rather than the wallet. I like thinking I’m street-smart about using ATM’s. I’d rather not walk away from a street ATM alone, well into the night. If you have an I-phone or any valuable electronic gadget be a little cautious about holding it out for a thief to grab.

For me, the singular joy of the Bay Area in general and San Francisco in particular is a wonderful diversity of people. Happily a good cross section chooses to ride on BART. The type of people, pretty much, is the type wanting to get from one place to another. I suppose you might find someone who just likes being on BART – that’s the nice thing about San Francisco – there probably is.

While you ride on BART you, yourself, add to the mix. Do you suppose if when you board, your fellow passengers wonder about the “type of people” who are riding BART these days? “There goes the BART-a-hood,” they whisper among themselves, “now we got those Shreveport types.”

I trust you’ll make being a Shreveport type a happy addition.

Some BART stations stop in areas a little more slice of life than others. I think 16th Street at Mission deserves extra mindfulness; some people say worse about Civic Center. I know there are people who are leery of Fruitvale in Oakland. I would use either if it suited.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Also, you'll find many who take BART to/from the airport with luggage, so you may have company! If the train is empty, you can put your luggage in front of the seat next to you or you can sit near the doors and put it in front of your legs or on the side of the seat. Best not to block the aisles. If the train is crowded, you'll have to stand with your bag next to you. And as has been mentioned, having luggage/suitcase with wheels will make a big difference! Like any city, BART is crowded during commute hours.

In terms of pickpockets, it's always smart to be prepared when you travel. Keeping your wallet in front pockets is one option. Another is wearing cargo pants with zippered pockets and a button on top to fasten it closed. HTH and have a great trip!

Edited: 27 April 2014, 16:43
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking BART from SFO to Powell

Can there be trouble on Bart? Sure, it's possible it could happen. Unexpected things can happen anywhere, at any time, including where most anyone lives.

Is it frequent to have problems on Bart? I've ridden Bart on a nearly daily basis (4 or 5 round trips a week) for at least 8 years and have yet to see anything really bad happen personally in the train car I was in. Probably the worst I saw was a drunk man sexually harassing a woman who most definitely wasn't interested and other passengers had to get him to cool it. Or the time two hoodlums were smoking cigarettes in the back of the car. Or people behaving badly and playing music on their cell phones or eating smelly food (happens occasionally and Bart police don't seem to enforce the rules much).

Yes, thefts can occur, but they're not too common. I would suspect they're no more common than at many malls around the USA. Would you leave your things unattended at a mall? I would take similar precautions on Bart. If you want to sit with your luggage, I'd suggest choosing one of the seats nearer the doors since they have more space and otherwise your luggage may take up a seat that someone else may want if you keep it next to you. Train cars and seats have been filling up more frequently at non peak times the last few years with ridership that has increased. Sitting near the doors, be aware you should be ready to yield your seat to people in need (elderly, handicapped, pregnant, etc) if all those seats fill up.

The ridership is much more professional people near rush hour (and can get quite crowded). At night it may be more people going out for the evening and a more festive crowd. Certain large events bring out different types of people (sports fans, concert goers, opera goers, partying college kids, etc).

I know in many places in the US public transit has a stigma because it can be so horrendous (slow and with very limited options). It seems some places in the USA, only people on the bottom of the ladder who can't afford a car use it since it's such a poor alternative to driving. It's not that way here since driving can be slow, expensive and inconvenient, also. Many people own a car and leave it parked to take transit some of the time here. Or the may not own a car at all and instead use that money to live somewhere central or interesting where they don't need a car at all.

Transit is reasonably good in the bay area and people from all walks of life use it at all times of day. Your largest danger is probably catching an illness (just like on a plane), so wash or sanitize your hands afterwards, avoid touching your face and all those usual precautions when you're in a public place.