We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

Hi Guys, need your help. I will be arriving SAn francisco International Airport with my wife and 1 year old daughter on May 13, 2013 at around 9PM. From the airport we will have to go to Ripon to stay with relatives. Can anyone suggest ways on getting to Ripon from the airport?

If I entertain rent a car, would it be an easy navigation? Im not from the US nor from San Francisco. Would it also be convenient to go to the car rental companies? lastly, what is the most recommended Car Rental company? Thanks

California
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

The only way that really makes sense is to rent a car. Although the route isn't horribly complicated, you may want to get a car with GPS included (unless you have a smart phone that will work in the US) if you're not comfortable reading a map or following written directions. There are shuttles from the airport terminal to the rental car locations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

You are going to need a car seat for your 1 year old. Car rental companies will rent them or there is a Target store nearby (one person picks up the car, goes to Target --open until 11PM -- and returns to the airport).

It's a 90 minute drive. If you're coming off a long International flight you might consider staying at the airport that night and getting early start in the morning. El Rancho motel gets good mention here.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

I agree - rent a car and seriously consider staying at an airport hotel and getting a fresh start in the morning.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

I have one more choice. If you can get on BART, our regional transit system, which has a station at the SFO International Terminal, by 11:33 pm, you could take the Bay Point/Pittsburg train, get off at Balboa Station, wait on the samelatform for the Dublin/Pleasanton train, and arrive at Dublin/Pleasanton station by 1 am. This is the last train before it shuts down for the night. Then your relatives could drive the half hour from Ripon to pick you up. With a tired family, it would be perhaps not the best choice.

Alternative is to have your relatives pick you up at the airport, which shouldn't be too bad traffic at that time of night.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

Yes, having someone pick you up would of course be the best. I can't imagine having visitors from overseas arriving at night with a small child and NOT meeting them at the airport, but I figured there must be a reason why the rellies can't get to SFO.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

With a 1 year old, after a long flight, I would get a hotel shuttle to an airport hotel and not start my trip to Ripon until morning when everyone is rested. The shuttle can then take you back to the airport where you will take an airtrain to the rental car building. They are now all housed together, very convenient. And, yes, you will need a car seat for the little one.

If your plane lands at 9 pm you still have to allow time for picking up your luggage, and the car. That could make it quite late. I would not drive to Ripon that night, nor would I pick up the car until morning.

You should reserve your car from home before you leave. If you use a booking company like CarRental.com (it used to be carhire3000) all the necessary insurance will be included in the rate, and, as a non US resident you will not be charged a drop-off fee if you leave it at another location.

We stay at the El Rancho Inn mentioned by White Dahlia when we have an early flight the next morning or a late flight coming back. It is reasonably priced and set among gardens, with a restaurant and a pool.

http://www.elranchoinn.com/

But you may want to get something to eat at the airport before calling for the hotel shuttle, as other restaurants are apt to be closed. In fact, even if you decide to drive to Ripon, you should eat at the airport before you leave.

Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

Thanks for the replies... Was also considering a taxi or a limo service? Any idea what would be a good company that does not charge so high rates?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

I doubt any taxi would make the trip. Car service would be, my guess, in the neighborhood of $300-$500.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

A 90 minute trip, and return for the driver will be expensive for a limo service, and taxis. There has got to be one of your relatives who would come and get you. If they live in Ripon, they probably have a car. Offer to pay for the gas, if necessary.

I would not like to be renting a car after such a long flight--dangerous, and also navigating the freeways will be confusing.

Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco International Airport to Ripon, California

Thanks.. I think Ill stay the night in a hotel and rent a car the following morning.. What time do you guys suggest i leave SFO to avoid traffic and congestions in the orad thus giving me time to navigate?