We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from San Francisco

canberra
Level Contributor
87 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from San Francisco

We are travelling as a group of four spending 3 nights ie two days in San Francisco in August. On the first day we have booked a Dylans tour and seats for a San Francisco Giants baseball game. On our second day we were hoping to see a bit of the coastline plus some 'quiet' time in a Redwood park. So our plan is to rent a car for the day and head down the coast to Santa Cruz and head back to SF via Hwy 9 spending some time at the Henry Cowells Redwood state park. Would we have enough time to spend a couple of hours at Santa Cruz and Henry Cowells and be back in SF by 4pm. Is this a picturesque drive?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

Highway 9 is a very curving twisting road. I think I've driven it once and got car sick even driving.

What you suggest CAN be done but with only 2 days in San Francisco I wouldn't recommend leaving the city. If you are taking Dylan's 5 hour tour you will have gone to Muir Woods.

I would say stay in the city for the second day. Perhaps see the murals in the Mission or spend time at Golden Gate Park or Lands End.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

I agree with White Dahlia. Two days in San Francisco is not really enough, and while I would like you to see "my neck of the woods" I would recommend spending that second day in the city. And, as White Dahlia said, with your Dylan's tour you will have seen redwoods.

If you should decide to do it anyway, don't take Hwy 9 back to San Francisco. After Henry Cowell, which is on Hwy 9, just go the few blocks into town (Felton) and turn right on Mt. Hermon Road, which will take you to Hwy 17. This is freeway except for about 10 miles as it crosses the Coast Range. When you get down from that, in Los Gatos, watch for Hwy 85, marked "Mountain View" and take that to the Hwy 280 exit for San Francisco. Yes this is a picturesque drive.....over Hwy 17 and then again when you leave the residential part of San Jose and the freeway becomes 280, it is a lovely drive.

Is there any way you could add more time to the San Francisco part of your trip? If not, you will for sure want to come back.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

Agree with both white d and Puter. What is your plan beyond SF or after SF

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

2 days !

Agree with the others and don't leave the city.

There is just so much more to experience . Have you checked out Top Questions on right of this page and "Things to Do".

Also have a look at this listing of the neighbourhoods to explore.

http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

Alcatraz ?

Let us know

canberra
Level Contributor
87 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

This is my second trip to San Francisco so have already seen a fair bit of the city as well as nearby Yosemite, Big Sur, Redwood National Park but havent been to the Santa Cruz area hence my interest in a day trip. Think I will still do it because it does seem to offer a good balance of coastal scenery, nice towns and redwoods.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

Well, then, here is a link of things to do and see in Santa Cruz. Let me know if you need more information.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

7. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16