We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area to avoid in SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Area to avoid in SF

We will be with two teenage kids. I have heard people in the forum mentioned about Tenderloin area, which streets are they? What does "Tenderloin" mean here? We are thinking of staying at Union Square, is it closed to the "tenderloin " area?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area to avoid in SF

Union Sq is close to the tenderloin. Which hotel are you staying at?

My teens have been to the tenderloin so while it's not a very pleasant area, it is not disastrous if you wander into it by accident and just turn around early when you feel uncomfortable.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area to avoid in SF

We will probably be at the hilton (still thinking). What does Tenderloin mean? Is it an area with all the bad guys? Which street is it?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,606 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area to avoid in SF

The word tenderloin originally only meant a very tender center cut of beef.

How it came to mean a neighborhood that is not so nice is up for debate as there are many stories about how the name came into common usage. Supposedly it was first used in a New York City area where there was a lot of corruption(bribery) . Not sure how that got translated into San Francisco. I will tell you that I have visited San Francisco many times and sometimes on my own(solo senior female). I have been in the area during the day and while it was not pleasant because of the homeless/drug addicts etc. , no one bothered me. I don't think you have to worry about it as you go about normal sightseeing. IF you happen to walk into an area that doesn't look pleasant to you then turn around and go back. IF you put the words Tenderloin San Francisco into Google you will see a map. IF you put the work tenderloin into the search box on the top of this page you will get lots of previous discussions on this topic.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area to avoid in SF

Search this forum for "tenderloin" and you will get pages upon pages of threads.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area to avoid in SF

There aren't really any tourist destinations in the Tenderloin. If you stay at the Hilton it is probably the closest nice hotel to the area, but the hotel staff will tell you which doors to use (O'Farrell) and which way to turn (right, not left).

But during the day, it is more uncomfortable than unsafe. The uncomfortable part would be explaining to the teens exactly what that guy is doing wrapping a big rubber band around his arm in that doorway or why those two guys are shaking hands and exchanging.... something. The folks involved in the various activities aren't really paying you (or any passersby) much attention.

6. Re: Area to avoid in SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16