We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sausalito to San Francisco confusion

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sausalito to San Francisco confusion

Hello,

I can't seem to find the answer to my question so I'm hoping you guys can help me!

I'm visiting SF in a couple of weeks and I am going to be taking the ferry across to Sausalito. The walk from Sausalito to the start of the Golden Gate Bridge seems pretty long, so I've looked into getting a bus from near the ferry terminal (no. 10). It appears that this bus goes all the way across the bridge without any stops, ending up at the toll plaza. I'd then like to go towards Crissy Field but I can't figure out how I'm going to cross the road at the toll plaza.

Could someone please tell me if the no. 10 bus stops on the bridge itself at any point, or if any of the other buses do? If not, can someone please tell me the best way to cross the very large and busy road at the toll plaza?

Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sausalito to San Francisco confusion

That bus should make a stop on the north side of the bridge if you want to walk the bridge. It's a request stop so ask the driver when you board.

However, if you take the bus across the bridge, it will go through the toll then exit to the bus stop before returning to the roadway. Get off at that stop and you can walk under the roadway to the Visitor Center on the east side of the Bridge and from there to the path that leads to Fort Point and Crissy Field. (This may be a request stop as well so ask the driver when you board.)

Once you start the walk along Crissy Field you're committed to it until the Palace of Fine Arts as there are no buses to catch. If you choose not to walk from the south side of the bridge you can catch the 28-19th Ave bus immediately in front of the Visitor's Center with a destination of "Fort Mason." (Do not get the bus with a Destination of "Daly City BART" -- the route uses the same bus stop for both inbound and outbound directions so it can be a little confusing.)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sausalito to San Francisco confusion

Thanks WhiteDahlia, that's really helpful. I actually want to visit the Palace of Fine Arts anyway, so being committed to Crissy Field is fine. :)

3. Re: Sausalito to San Francisco confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:16