We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch with a view

Boston, MA
14 posts
Save Topic
Lunch with a view

We have one day in San Francisco before taking our cruise and we looking for recommendations for a restaurant with a fine view where we can have a good lunch.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch with a view

Sutro's at the Cliff House.

Mentioned in this post
Sutro's
Sutro's
260 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Cliff House
Cliff House
398 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch with a view

Any specific location? Do you want to be near the cruise port? Will you be lugging your luggage? How will you be getting around town? Are you flying in, and if so, which airport?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch with a view

I agree that the view at the Cliff House can be good, but have some trepidation in recommending it as the primary choice in this case:

1. It's a long way from downtown. Don't know if OP has a car or not (would help to know), but if not you're talking about a long MUNI ride there & back.

2. Possibility of fog. We don't know when OP is going to be in SF (again, would help to know) and while the season can have an impact on the *probability* (or not) of fog, you can never be 100% sure. It would be terrible to go all the way to the Cliff House only to have a view of nothing but fog. Worst of all, you won't be 100% sure if it's clear on not until you get there (i.e. it could be sunny downtown with a fog bound coast and/or the coast could be clear, but by the time you get there . . .).

Bottom Line: Don't think I would suggest going all the way out to the Cliff House taking the time & risk for a view when there are options closer in.

Since this is a case where the view (not the food) is the prime consideration, I might actually consider something on Pier 39. I have no idea what restaurants (if any) are out near the end of the pier now, but that would be one option I would consider.

Another option (with better food) would be to hit the Ferry Building; it has lots of choices. You could get some take out and enjoy it "out back" while scoping out the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island, the passing boats, fishermen, the ferries, etc.

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Cliff House
Cliff House
398 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Treasure Island
Treasure Island
219 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch with a view

Epic Roadhouse or Waterbar if you like premium restaurant with a view, or for a Burger & Beer -Pier 23.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 21:03
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,334 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch with a view

Views and good food do not always go together in most places -- SF is no exception but there are some that are worth a visit imho

There are many places along the Embarcadero in the Ferry Building . The ones to the north of the Ferry building are closer to the cruise terminal from Plant Cafe to Le Mar to Slanted door to Gotts Roadside. Waterbar is a seafood place South of the Ferry Building as is Epic Roasthouse for seafood and steak respectively.

Greens in Fort Mason is veg and has spectacular views

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch with a view

Great views in SF are ubiquitous; you will be virtually surrounded by them!

But SF does not specialize in restaurants with great views. Well, let me rephrase, it does not specialize in GOOD restaurants with great views. There are a few places in town that are decent with great views and extremely great prices to go along. Those are Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse. I would recommend either but understand the "view tax" you'll be paying.

After that the offerings drop off severely.

I would not suggest Cliff House because it's so far away. (It's view is ocean not bay. And you'll be getting plenty of ocean views on your cruise.) But if I were, I think the Bistro is a much better (and more reasonably priced) option. There are two restaurants at the Cliff House. Sutro's is the upscale one but the food at the Bistro is good and the views are better.

And in good conscious I cannot recommend anything at Pier 39 (some on this forum like the Eagle Café). The place is a purpose built tourist trap.

You're going to get a fabulous view as you sail under the Golden Gate. I would go for a great meal instead of a great view.

What kind of price are you looking at?

Of the places we've been suggesting and thinking that you'd like to be close to the cruise port I would suggest Fog City Diner, Butterfly (does have a bit of a view), Wayfare Tavern and Kokkarri. This last would be my choice. Very comfortable interior, exceptional food and service.

Mentioned in this post
Cliff House
Cliff House
398 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sutro's
Sutro's
260 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch with a view

If you want to take the time, I'd suggest taking a ferry to Sausalito and having lunch at the Scoma's branch there (they also have one on Fisherman's Wharf). The food at the Sausalito location is very good -- we enjoyed a wonderful lunch there on our 40th anniversary trip -- and the view of Alcatraz and the SF skyline can't be beat. Sausalito is also a great little town for shopping and browsing.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch with a view

You might give Waterfront a try: http://waterfrontsf.com/

I've had a drink there - but never eaten, so can't vouch for the food. It's likely overpriced.

Hard Water looks to be better priced, but no view. http://hardwaterbar.com/

I do enjoy MarketBar at the Ferry Building, however, it's more people watching as it's on the side of the building away from the Bay: http://www.marketbar.com/

I can tell you to avoid Sinbad's.

Oh, one more thought - Sens at Embarcadero 4: http://www.sens-sf.com/

They have a good lunch - they don't gauge - and they have a view that looks out to the Ferry Building and the Bay Bridge (though not all seats have a view). It's on the second or third floor - and there is an outdoor patio, though I think they reserve that for evening lounge atmosphere.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 23:28
Mentioned in this post
MarketBar
MarketBar
296 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Boston, MA
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch with a view

We will be spending a night near fisherman's wharf, so luggage will not weigh us down.

Boston, MA
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch with a view

We will be spending a night near fisherman's wharf, so luggage will not weigh us down.