We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western USA August -October 2015

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Western USA August -October 2015

Hi All

My fiancé and I are planning a honeymoon for next year.

We are looking at going to the USA at the end of August and staying til early October so roughly 30-40 days.

This is our plan and I just wanted some advice or help/ opinions on how you think we are going on our planning. Anything we have missed or shouldn't worry about doing.

We are flying in and out to San Francisco.

San Fran by hop on and off tram and buses for 4-5 days

Driving down to LA and staying there for 5 days

Not sure about driving or getting on the train over to LV. My fiancé is a big train lover.

Staying in LV for 3 nights

Then heading to the Grand Canyon and Hoover dam

Staying at flagstaff

Durango

Denvor

Rapid city to see Mount Rushmore and deadwood

Yellow stone national park

Before returning to San Fran.

Is there more we should be doing or something we have missed.

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks all :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western USA August -October 2015

Welcome to the forum

Suggest to post this in the Road Trips forum because you are visiting many states.

Suggest to do this trip in reverse and start with Yosemite and Yellowstone after that but avoid busy Labor Day weekend (Labor Day is first monday in september)

Also make sure to spend at least 2 nights between LA and SF and explore hw1.

Durango has the famous Durango-Silverton RR.

Better take 40 days for a big loop like this.

Tet

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Western USA August -October 2015

I can understand the desire to experience a normal passenger train service in the USA, but there are some practical disadvantages, such as having to obtain transport from the car rental depot to the railroad station in Los Angeles and vice-versa in Las Vegas. In terms of scenery I would guess there isn't much to choose; once clear of Los Angeles driving on I-15 is easy and the car driver can see very nearly nearly as much as the passenger.

Another big thumbs up for the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad - a genuine steam train through the immensely beautiful San Juan Mountains. Even if you don't actually ride the train it's well visiting the station in Durango and the "station" in Silverton (a track down the middle of a street) when a train is moving in or out.

In Wyoming allow enough time for Yellowstone, and if you don't stay in the park itself then consider staying in several of the towns nearby (Jackson, West Yellowstone, Gardiner and Cody), driving between them through the park on successive days. This is because the park is so huge. In addition, I'd very highly recommend visiting the Grand Teton National Park just south of Yellowstone. Don't just drive past, spend the day in the Tetons, take the boat ride over Jenny Lake and hike up to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point and at least a little bit of Cascade Canyon - an awesome way to spend a day IMHO.

As the previous poster suggested, don't miss out Yosemite, it is one of the most beautiful places in the USA (or on Earth). Give it at least two full days, one for the valley, one for Glacier Point (fabulous view over Half Dome, and of the valley far below) and Mariposa Grove (giant trees).

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western USA August -October 2015

Here is a direct link to the multi-state Road Trips forum that was suggested: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Check with folks on the Train Travel forum for an idea of how to fit a ride into your itinerary (no train between L.A. and Las Vegas) tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

4. Re: Western USA August -October 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16