We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Hello folks,

we're staying in SF for a week as part of our road trip, and we're looking for something to accommodate the wife and myself plus our two teenage kids. So three beds, though the kids would share a room.

We've been looking at holiday rentals to get the space we need. They are quite expensive, and I'm trying to juggle the budget. Most are around the $1,500 for the week.

We need somewhere with parking, so a few are ruled out right away,

Would you recommend staying right in the heart of the city, or further out like Oakland or Susalito? I don't mind driving if it's not too far.

We're planning on the usual Alcatraz, Six Flags, Exploratorium, Pier 39 etc.

Many thanks for any advice you can share.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

hi:...yes, you will be looking for someplace that has parking as public transportation in the city is the way to go, if at all possible. Others are really knowledgeable about this and will certainly chime in. Also look on the right side of this forum page for answers as well ....but here is a nice suggestion. The Travelodge at the Presidio has king rooms and a room with 2 queens. There are weekly specials and other savings--and limited parking. Located near the beautiful Presidio (bowling alley!), Crissy Field (sand/paths/views!) and Golden Gate Bridge.

Travelodge at the Presidio

http://www.travelodgepresidio.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

There is a list of hotels with parking and budget hotels as well as hotels that will sleep up to 5. Do go through that list. The Lombard street area has Cow Hollow Suites that may be good for you. Del Sol, Columbus Inn and Buena Vista inn are also worth looking at

Why not get rid of the car . Saves you a week worth of Car expenses. Please don't say we are in the middle of the trip. That is fine. There is NO one way charge for you

Please do peruse the top questions -- how to get around, Sf, What to do, what to do with kids, what to eat, what to see etc. All worth having a look

The TQs can be seen on the right side of this web page or via Posts 1 and 2 in the SF forum

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

$1500/wk works out to $215/night. Which is quite reasonable if you're looking for 2 bedrooms. AND parking. (You don't want to know what I paid for a studio in Kensington a few years ago.)

If you're staying for a week, try pricing out dropping the car and re-renting. You won't need the car in the city and it will be a millstone around your neck.

Are you headed to LA? If so I would leave the theme parks for SoCal.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Good advice above...check it all out. The Columbus Motor Inn and Cow Hollow Inn and Suites have family accommodations and free parking.

If you find a vacation rental, be sure to get the address or at least the cross streets and check back here for the SF experts' advice on location. Also, be sure, if you keep the car, that there is parking, and I don't mean on the street, which could require you to keep moving it and would not only be a big hassle but if you get a ticket, VERY expensive.

Good luck.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 01:18
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Thanks for the replies. The hotels are pretty much too expensive. And the Cow Hollow suites are sold out.

We can't get rid of the car. It is already paid for as part of our flight+car package.

I'm looking on vbro.com for places with a washer+dryer and a garage or parking. There are a few about. I am nervous about paying in advance to people I don't know, though.

When I have a short list, I will post it here for your review. Many thanks.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

VBRO, generally, lists high end properties. Check Airbnb, Flipkey and Roomorama. I think that staying in Oakland and $au$alito wouldn't be a good idea, because you'll have to deal with bridge traffic and tolls. When you get to the city, where would you park the car? Parking charges and street parking restrictions are un-pleasant. Check the outer Richmond, outer Sunset district and Noe Valley areas of SF. I don't know about SF bus fares, but they probably offer 1 week discounted passes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

I don't think one should spend time staying in outer anything including Outer Mongolia when visiting SF and it's touristy areas

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Ouch ! Hotel and motel quoted rates don't include almost 16% for taxes. Try to get a place with a refrigerator and microwave. You'll save a lot of money on meals; at least breakfast. Remember the name Trader Joe.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Blimey I didn't think this would be so difficult.

The problem is finding something ideally with 3 bedrooms, or two bedrooms with two beds in one for the kids, and parking.

Getting rid of the car is not an option as this is the middle of our 6 week holiday.

While we are in SF, we like the idea of taking public transport as it can be fun planning the journey. And the week passports are only $30 each, so those would be perfect.

I was hoping to get something for less than maybe £140 - $240 a day - or $1700 for the week.

But those rentals in our budget with parking are quite a way south and/or west. Twin Peaks, for example.

And public transport from there looks to take maybe more than 90 minutes to get to Fisherman's Wharf / Pier 39. Which is way too long.

Rentals in the Nob Hill area are $2500 and up for the week.

So I'm wondering whether it might be better to save $1000 by getting a rental further out and resign myself to driving in and paying for parking in the car parks around Fisherman's Wharf?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in San Francisco - advice please on where to stay

Did you check out the article with info about Lodging for 5? (That usually means 3 beds, but also usually in 1 big room. There are other options.)