We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel close to American Music Hall

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel close to American Music Hall

I know it looks odd that my post pic location is S.F. but I actually live 20 miles from S.F. and seldom go to the city. We are going to a concert at American Music Hall and want to spend the night and be within walking distance. Do not want to spend tons of $. Any thoughts? So far The Opal is the least $ of the ones I have found but with tax, etc that is $200 and a bit too much.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

The area around the Great American Music Hall (O'Farrell and Polk) isn't a great area, but the Cova Hotel gets good reviews and is close enough to walk from there.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d1119270…

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

The Cova might work.

Also, I have no idea what the rates are for your dates, but the Hotel Carlton (which is mentioned but didn't quite make the cut for the Union Square Budget Hotels list as it's a little too far from Union Square), is about a 3-4 block walk away. Monarch on Geary is pretty close too, but I didn't do *any* checking on it, might be a dump I don't know.

I did stay at the Opal once (in a prior incarnation, may as a La Quinta?) wasn't bad, but I don't think I'd want to spend $200/night. I will note that staying there mean when you leave you're show you'll be walking in the direction that takes you out of the Tenderloin area the quickest.

I'll close by noting that you need to be a careful & really check out any hotel in this area. I'm sure there are lots that you wouldn't want to stay in for a few minutes, much less the whole night. (But you probably already know that.) On this note, I do suggest you read the reviews (especially the poor/terrible ones) and don't rely solely on the TA rankings. I feel pretty certain that many bad reviews for hotels in this area are based on the neighborhood (and not necessarily the hotel itself) and you are presumably aware of what the neighborhood is like (which the reviewer probably wasn't and . . . .). I'm not saying that all the terrible reviews should be discounted, but if they say it's a nice hotel, but in a lousy area . . . then it's probably okay for you to stay there (since you can't avoid the area based on the location of the show).

That's my $.02 hope it helps,

hlo

California
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

Huntlawoffice, you must be a well paid lawyer? Or probably you did not know the price of the Cova Hotel. I got a good laugh when I looked it up on hotels.com. About $650 per night! I did check out the area and thank all of you for advice and we now are going to just go to the show and back home. Again, laughing at that hotel price, ridiculous.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

I've stayed at the Phoenix several times. I would think it would be much nicer than the Cova. Presumably you're driving in. The Phoenix has parking at no extra cost.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

painnurse, it was not huntlawoffice who originally mentioned the Cova, it was wellvis. hlo merely stated that it might work. Of course that rate is outrageous and I am wondering how you got it, because it is not a normal rate for that hotel.

Huntlawoffice is the one who is responsible for the excellent list of budget hotels in the Top Questions.

I am with you....drive in and see the show and go home.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

$650 for the Cova ?? Whoa. In what universe? That is HIGHLY unlikely.

I'm not a fan of the location of the Cova but the Carleton is fine.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 02:34
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

I went to the Cova Website. They must be very popular because they seem to be sold out or have 'restricted' reservations nights all this month. I have tried several times to call them, but always got a 'busy' signal. Very suspicious for a Tuesday night.

However, I did try a dummy reservation for an weekend opening in June...June 7, and the rates rnges from $185 - $194....more, for what they call a more special room whose name I cannot remember.

The $650 quote came from where? Not even rational for this hotel.

OK...I just got through and was told that, yes, that would be a reasonable rate, depending upon conventions and other things happening in the city.

I am having a real problem with this......sheesh.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 04:25
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

Wow, $650 for the Cova?!?!?

Just shows you how widely SF rates can vary (and how outrageous they can get). Every rate I've ever seen for it has been much more inline with the numbers Puter cites (and/or even lower). I don't care *how* nice it is on the inside, I'd NEVER pay that much a hotel in that location. I'd rather stay out in the far reaches of SF (or even outside the city) and use the savings to pay for cab fare to/from the show. Even if you found rates crazy-wild everywhere and had to pay $300 for something like the Seal Rock Inn, you could still afford to pay $150 cab fare (and a $25 tip) each way! (Actually more as the 15% tax increases the rate differential.)

(And, Puter is right, I only said the Cova *might* work.)

I'll just add that if I had to guess, the Cova might have a luxury suite (or two . . .) and they charge top dollar for them, especially when demand is high *and* that might be the only thing they have available (because others, like you, are wanting to crash at a nearby hotel after the show, I know I've seen this occur at other venues/hotels). That's my $.02 on that.

SFcityguy's suggestion of the Phoenix MIGHT work too, it's certainly close. I think the reason it didn't pop on my radar is that I was looking more to the north (and confess, I thought the Phoenix was to the north, I didn't remember it was so close the the Federal Building). I've never stayed at the Phoenix, but have been to the bar/restaurant a few times (but this was *many* years ago and before it was a JDV hotel). It's certainly got some history, but I expect the rate will be higher than the Carlton (but hopefully not to the level of the what we've heard the Cova might charge). If it makes any difference, in addition to having parking, my memory is that it has a pool.

That an additional $.02,

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

What I always suggest is folks use the HLO TQ budget hotels list and use both travel sites and the hotels website to compare rates. As we can see rates go crazy when the dentists (sorry dr z) or the geeks come here . Or as was suggested see the show and drive home

Edited: 07 May 2014, 17:49
California
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel close to American Music Hall

Ooops sorry Huntlawoffice! I did not look at hotel website but I looked again at Hotels.com and after putting in San Francisco on the date which is mid week, I got $656/night. Maybe it is a Hotels.com typo? Maybe that is a special date? No clue why. Maybe Obama is staying there lol? San Francisco is expensive even for people who live in the Bay Area so we will just drive in and back.