We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local Brewery?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best local Brewery?

Wife and I are planning a trip to SF for our 5th anniversary. Will be there the week of July 4th (june 29-July 5).

We aren't much for wine, but do enjoy craft beers and like to visit local breweries when we travel. Are there any recommended breweries with good tours (and of course, beers/food)?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local Brewery?

Did you check the top questions ? Those are meant for folks to get their FAQs answered

Well in any case. Anchor Brewing has tours that need to be booked in advance

16 breweries listed here.

…sfgate.com/blog/…14227-1

Best is so subjective. Why not try one or two you may like a beer from each of them.

sf
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local Brewery?

Belo gave a list from last year, and there are more since the article. Anchor is the Flag ship Brewery in SF, I think hasn't produce the best beers in a while, but is one of the few 1 of the few that offers tours, I tour wineries and drink at Breweries.

Since this came out there are 2 new Mikkeller & Cellarmaker that are different and cool, Southern Pacific is good along with, Magnolia & 21st Amendment. Check out the new Brewery and Bar BQ restaurant for Magnolia in Dogpatch.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 03:38
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local Brewery?

I get a newsletter on local outdoorsy stuff which this week included this snippet (I don't pretend to be a beer aficionado):

Not far from Fort Mason in the Presidio, Fort Point Beer Co. is brewing small-batch excellence, and you can taste some of it not far from where it's brewed, at Off the Grid: Picnic at the Presidio (Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).

Don't know if Sunday afternoon in the Presidio will suit the OPs schedule but perhaps a lurker out there will benefit.

http://fortpointbeer.com/

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local Brewery?

If you don't mind driving a bit, check out Lagunitas in Petaluma. They have a fun tour on weekdays.

sf
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local Brewery?

Agree on Lagunitas, but its about an hour drive, and there area lot others if you're willing to rent a car . Also there are a few in the East Bay accessible by BART

The Micro Breweries I mentioned are in SF.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local Brewery?

I have read through a lot of the FAQs article, but I guess I missed the brewery section.

We aren't planning to rent a car at the moment, so transit will be a necessity. Have a room booked at the Chancellor for now, but looking for other deals or good rates around Union Square as well.

A couple of friends have told me that we should go to Sonoma or other wine locales even though we aren't wine aficionados...think its worth renting a car for?

We were going to try to do Muir woods also, so we could make a day of that as well and be able to stay longer than a tour would allow if we rented a car.

Thanks for the input!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best local Brewery?

Well there is a day trip along the Sonoma coast that covers Armstrong redwoods in Sonoma county (less crowded) as well as the town of Sonoma. If you are not big wine drinkers there are brewplaces in Sonoma county as well. This may be too far but Anderson Valley which has an amazing Amber is a great beer.

The day trip is -- yes outlined by Puter in the SF TQs.

SF needs 3-4 full days to see and if you are here for 5 days plus 2 travel days, you could do an overnight trip -- Wine Country is a great area to visit

sf
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best local Brewery?

Lagunitas is in the Sonoma County city of Petaluma, close to Highway 101, also there's Moylans in Novato and Marin Brewing in Larkspur.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best local Brewery?

I would recommend City Beer and Cellarmaker. Both are walking distance to each other. City Beer has a bottle shop section, so you can grab a bottle or two back to your hotel. Cellarmaker brews their own beer. I think they are one of the best in Northern CA. Both have a friendly staff and crowd.

10. Re: Best local Brewery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:16