We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit after Christmas

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Visit after Christmas

Coming for a trip on Dec. 26. Two nights at the Orchard in SF, two nights San Simeon, one night Monterey and last night Dec.31 staying in Marina District. We are in our late fifties and I chose Marina District because we haven't spent any time there before, and we have reservations at one of the motor lodges in the district (we'll be returning our car the next day when we fly out). Is the Marina District too young and hip for a couple of relative duds? I think we'll enjoy walking around the area and besides the water and the views, will just need some place casual to eat and maybe a bar or two. Should we go back to Union Square for our last night?

Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit after Christmas

I'm about your age and I live in the Marina! I will say that I prefer Chestnut Street on weekdays to weekends. Although at holidays the neighborhood is a little quieter as many people are away.

There are lots of local shops and restaurants along Chestnut, Union, Fillmore between Chestnut and Union. Not to mention the proximity to Crissy Field and the Presidio.

As you will have already spent time downtown, the Marina might be a fun option to see something a bit different.

PS ... I would recommend staying in Cambria over San Simeon. Much wider (and nicer) selections of lodgings and dining. But a short drive to Hearst Castle if you plan to visit.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit after Christmas

+1 for Marina & especially a Crissy Field for a very scenic stroll.

+ 1 for Marina: Yes, loads of irritatingly good-looking 20-somethings. And likewise irritating 30-sometings pushing giant-strollers with dogs in tow. Also, an abundance of way over-priced shops.

But...

lots of really good restaurants & a nice wine bar or two.

I say: go for it! Have a different San Francisco experience. I'm sure you will have fun -- especially since all the youngsters will probably have gone home to spend the holidays with their parents. :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit after Christmas

You will be fine in the Marina as white d suggests

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit after Christmas

Thanks everyone! I was hoping you all would say that!

sf
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit after Christmas

I agree with WD about Cambria over San Simeon, there really isn't much in SS except Hearst Castle, and it's only 6 miles down the road.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit after Christmas

I have reservations at the Best Western Cavalier in San Simeon. I like the fact that it is right on the beach as opposed to having to cross HWY 1 which is what the places around Cambria look like. We plan on driving around and exploring during the day, and don't really intend to go out at night except for dinner. I assumed these places were close enough together that it wouldn't be an issue. Thoughts? Thanks again.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit after Christmas

Did you look at the motels along Moonstone Beach Drive in Cambria? May be more expensive than your Sam Simeon BW though.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 04:15
sf
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit after Christmas

Sorry to say but here isn't even much to eat in SS, we were there in Jan and wanted to stay there but after seeing the area glad we didn't. Better Cambria or farther south in Morro Bay.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit after Christmas

Stay in a hotel in Cambria on Moonstone Beach.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit after Christmas

Its true that all the lodging along Moonstone Beach are on the inland side of the road. But it's not Highway 1. It's a small 2 lane road which is west of Highway 1. There are a lot of very nice places to stay along Moonstone Beach but a couple of restaurants that are walking distance from most of them. Then there are other dining options in the little artsy town under the pines. It's quite a charming place.

If you really want to be on the water but in a nicer place, look at Pismo Beach. But it's 45 minutes or so further along from Cambria.

San Simeon looks a bit dumpy overall.